lovetts lth dog beeper collars

JIM K

lovetts lth dog beeper collars

Post by JIM K » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 pm

used bell all my life. reading that the new beeper/hawk scream collars are way to go.
i mostly only hunt grouse .
is this way to go today for hunting grouse?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: lovetts lth dog beeper collars

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:47 pm

JimK -

There are plusses and minuses. The Lovett's beeper can be hear at far greater distances than just about any bell in similar cover. The Lovett's beeper will operate in point mode, if you wish it to. When a dog wearing a bell goes on point... you ain't gonna hear much more.

I am no grouse hunter by any stretch, but I am quite certain that a beeper on either beep mode or hawk scream mode, WILL cause some birds to "exit stage left" before you can get there. It might cause some to sit tight too. I have seen both scenarios with pheasant.

If you can hear the bell and can find the dog on point...you don't need a beeper...Lovett's or any other. If you do have some hearing loss(as do many older hunters), a beeper can help. If you have difficulty locating a dog on point, in cover...a beeper can help.

FWIW, I have Lovett's beepers and I find them the least annoying of all the beepers I have heard. I can hear a Lovett's in mixed cove out to about 400 yards in a light breeze and my hearing ain't the best anymore.

For my money, I would save my sheckels and go for a Garmin Astro. No noise whatsoever and you know EXACTLY where your dog is and have a really good idea of what the dog is doing.

Garmin's, IMO, have two downsides. They are expensive and they allow you to be inattentive because you can precisely locate your dog pretty much anytime. They and radio tracking units do have one HUGE plus. if you hang a collar on your rear view mirror, you can almost always find your way back to your vehicle(unless you go over the mountain).

RayG

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:05 pm

RayGubernat wrote:JimK -

There are plusses and minuses. The Lovett's beeper can be hear at far greater distances than just about any bell in similar cover. The Lovett's beeper will operate in point mode, if you wish it to. When a dog wearing a bell goes on point... you ain't gonna hear much more.

I am no grouse hunter by any stretch, but I am quite certain that a beeper on either beep mode or hawk scream mode, WILL cause some birds to "exit stage left" before you can get there. It might cause some to sit tight too. I have seen both scenarios with pheasant.

If you can hear the bell and can find the dog on point...you don't need a beeper...Lovett's or any other. If you do have some hearing loss(as do many older hunters), a beeper can help. If you have difficulty locating a dog on point, in cover...a beeper can help.

FWIW, I have Lovett's beepers and I find them the least annoying of all the beepers I have heard. I can hear a Lovett's in mixed cove out to about 400 yards in a light breeze and my hearing ain't the best anymore.

For my money, I would save my sheckels and go for a Garmin Astro. No noise whatsoever and you know EXACTLY where your dog is and have a really good idea of what the dog is doing.

Garmin's, IMO, have two downsides. They are expensive and they allow you to be inattentive because you can precisely locate your dog pretty much anytime. They and radio tracking units do have one HUGE plus. if you hang a collar on your rear view mirror, you can almost always find your way back to your vehicle(unless you go over the mountain).

RayG
ray,thanks for tips. some are using the hawk point only mode with a bell.
no doubt that garmin being quite is plus. grouse today are spooky do to hunting pressure.
problem with GARMIN it does not work in woods under leaves of trees.'
none do very well.
want to go in your pants. rely on gps in woods to get out just before dark.

i carry compass.
been there and done that. but i dont get excited in blizzard 5 minutes before dark and gps not working.i have compass and flashlight.

this has happened. new garmins say they work better.
price of garmins is AWFUL.

do search on here on this A LITTLE WILD BIRD HUNTING WITH SMALL MUNSTERLANDER.

dave put this pic on here for me and shows what a POINT ONLY mode beeper can do on grouse/woodcock.

rinker

Post by rinker » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:11 pm

I do not live in grouse country but I take a trip to the Michigan UP every fall. We go early in the season when the leaves are still on the trees. I have used a Garmin along with a bell the last two years. My Garmin has never lost signal for a second. I have pointers that are all directly out of horseback all age sires, they can get out of pocket at times. You do not need to hang a collar on the mirror, the Garmin has a 'mark truck' feature. The Garmin is expensive, but I will never turn a dog loose again without a Garmin collar on them.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:22 pm

You will have no problem with beeper mode on ruffed grouse. The hawk squelch will make grouse run. We been using beepers on our dogs for ruffed grouse since the early 80's.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:22 pm

Dogtra 2500 B/T for grouse.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 am

I have a couple of them, they do not help hold quail for me in the hawk mode. It does raise my awareness though when i hear it go off.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I tried the hawk scream on a TT beeper, and my impression was it made woodcock flush wild. I switched it back to the "beep" tone and the birds held better. Hardly a scientific study... But I like to use a bell and beeper on point only mode, and also the Astro GPS. It works fine in heavy leaf cover.