finish a retrieve

joachimt

finish a retrieve

Post by joachimt » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:23 pm

I have a 1year old GSP who has passed her Junior hunt test and now i want to work with her on her Senior and possibly master in the future. I have been working with her on retrieving, and she is pretty good, however when she retrieves she will bring it to me but immediately put her head down and start chewing on whatever it is. Iam trying to get her to bring the object directly to hand. She might do it 1 out of 10 retrieves but the rest of the time she puts it on the ground right in front of me. I tried backing up or getting her attention when she is bringing it in but it does not work consistently. Any ideas on what I could try???

Hattrick

Re: finish a retrieve

Post by Hattrick » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Force Fetch the dog

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:40 am

Hattrick wrote:Force Fetch the dog
Thoroughly and patiently; every step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxo6wdHl2w&feature=plcp

Let me know if I can be of help.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:30 am

I'll agree with the other's. I might add that even though I agree with the other's, you may not want to go that route. In that case, when she's comimg to you, don't back up but rather when she puts it down, don't pick it up, kick it away and don't take it until she gives it to you. Also start with a frozen bird that you've let thaw for a half hour or so first. But for what you want, FF is the way to ensure it will happen.

Got one more thing to add. If your going to do the master hunter, I'd skip the senior hunter. You do the senior and your going to be putting her in a senario she may well remember to well. By waiting till she is completely broke, you skip the test where your not only going to allow her to break before being sent, but your going to encourage it. Then you'll move on the master and all of a sudden what was alright yesterday is not alright today.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:13 am

+1 Don:
To get the MH title you will just need a little more work on retrieve to hand, Steadiness and Honoring and you giving less vocalization. IMO if you are going to be doing the MH you are holding your dog and schedule back by doing Senior. You may be allowing unwanted habits that are allowed in the Senior.

You will only need to pass one more test, bypassing the Senior. 6 Passes in total.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick