Roading

Texrab

Roading

Post by Texrab » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:53 am

Has anyone ever heard of this product (Springer)?
http://www.springerusa.com/index.html

I am looking for something to do as a type of roading. I have seen the dog scooters but don't know if the wife will let me shell out that type of money for one. The Springer deal looks like it may be work since I already have the bike. Any opinions on it? As far as roading can a dog be roaded on asphalt? I know they need boots or some type of protection if the are. What is a good age to begin roading (is six months too young)?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:08 am

if you have no place to allow the dog to free run, in an open field, then to me that would be an acceptable way to give the dog some exercise. however, i have a springer, and if you have a pointing breed that runs with any drive and speed at all, the springer is not going to stop you from taking spills when the dog stops to poop or smell the roses. free running would be better exercise, frankly.

also, we generally do not road dogs under six months at all, and only with very light or no load under a year, and at that we are just conditioning them to pull, not try to improve the dog's physical condition. bones, joints, muscle are still forming. running a young dog on a springer, though, as long as it is fun, probably would not do any harm. just be really careful not to overwork a dog that age. stop as soon as the dog is not absolutely enjoying it.

you should check out scooters on ebay. the scooters with the large front wheel and smaller rear wheel are better designed for the scooterer who is going to do some kicking. the large rear wheel can be a pain, because it is possible for your kicking foot to hit the big wheel. i mention this because I saw some scooters of the large wheel/small wheel design on ebay a couple of weeks ago for practically nothing. the most important parts of the scooter are a good frame that does not flex a ton, and good brakes.

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:47 am

I was really looking into roading my 2 yr old dog (he has put on some weight over the winter). I asked about the younger dog because she likes to be involved in everything I do. I do run them in fields and take them swimmming but they have unlimited energy and I figured riding the bike with them would be another good way to burn some energy. I will look into the scooters on e-bay, thanks

Crl

Post by Crl » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:57 am

I have to agree with John (WM) I tried the springer type set up on my mountain bike with my GSPs. I was a bloody mess in less than 30 minutes. Any distraction and they would cut me off etc. These types of rigs are great for lap dogs but not for powerful hunting or trial dogs.

Some day when I grow up I hope to have 4 wheeler.

crl

steingre

Dissenting Opinion??

Post by steingre » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:44 am

I've used a springer for 3 different GSP's over the course of the last 4 years. I haven't taken a single fall (yet)! We did a little "training" in the yard before we hit the streets/trails, and they caught on fast! I, as the supposedly "intelligent" member of the pack, have to be alert while I'm riding- I've stopped, pulled over, etc many times when I didn't like the looks of what was ahead!

Here's the routine:

Harness them up (one at a time, of course!), attach to the springer, take a couple of laps round the yard in the grass, and then let them pull for about a 1/2 mile.

Then I stop, let them "do their business", and away we go again.

I have several training grounds in the area- we generally "road" out, have a good run and/or training session, and then back home.

On they way out, they're pullin' like crazy, and no peddling for me; on the way home, I usually pedal a a moderate rate, and they are just keeping up.

May not work for everybody, but my dogs and I like it a lot!