Economy Bird Launchers?

zigzag

Economy Bird Launchers?

Post by zigzag » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:21 pm

What type of Bird Launchers are folks using? I am looking at buying a system that is expandabule to at least 3 launchers. I have looked at the DT system and so far other then sticker shock! Its at the top of the list right now. Is there a system like the BL2 that can be put together for a cost savings? As far as I can tell the BL2 system would be only a fraction less costly when you start adding launchers. Maybe I am missing somthing/can a box style manual launcher be upgraded to remote? Also would like to know about size of diffrent models, I need it to fit Barn size pigeons.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Economy Bird Launchers?

Post by DonF » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:06 pm

There is just not enough difference in what they do that matter's to me to over pay for them. What yopu want is a bird thrown into the air from a good distence off. Now if you want to pay for all the extra nice thing that make no difference in how they work, your gonna pay more than you need. One of them advertizes that you can load them from the rear. I don't get that nice litle niceity. Wheaver you load them from, you still have to load them. Pushing down the fabric and closing the l thing by hand just is not a major undertacking. I think one has a hawk screach, for me that is a huge waste of time and money. But these things are promoted really well. The load from the back certainly does load from the back. Bet it can be loaded from the top too! And the one that makes the hawk screach probably does make that sound. So what? Been training dogs a lot of years without those handy, expensive gadget's.

I started out with a three trap set from Wag Ag. They worked pretty well the big problem being the wire tha cut ot rubber band that threw the bird in the air. Kept falling down and needing replaced, pain in the butt. Then I got a set of B&B Farms traps. Found them in Amer fld ang got them. Huge transmitter and needed long antenas on the reciever. But I used them for 20 yrs and finally gsave them to a young guy starting out. I needed one trap that would work at this point in my life. I bought a Lion Country remote trap. One trap with electronics was something like $190. Their electronics can be bought seperate and they claim you can bolt it on any trap and it will work. Don't recall the price of them. I have no problem with my trap and know of two more prople that have them and no problem.

I forgot one I used a while. EZ, would not have another on the place. I could not be set off more than 10' from the trap! Maybe other's have had better luck with them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:48 pm

OK. I get everything your sayin. I just want a reliabule remote launcher that I can add 3 launchers. No bells and whistles, Whats on the market right now that fits my needs?

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:06 pm

I have a couple of the Lion County Supply launchers. The Transmitter I have can handle 6 if I remember correctly.
They work and work well.
Steve

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:21 pm

I have a pair of Dogtra launchers that I have had for fifteen or more years. They are snug enough to put a single quail in and not have the little winged rat escape and yet they are roomy enough to fit in a small chuckar or pigeon. They also have adjustable spring tension, so they can be adjusted either to just flop open or to really fire one out of there... or anything in between.

I never needed more than 2 , but the system supports as many as six.

Had Innoteks prior to that and they would unprogram themselves and fail to launch. Darn near ruined a dog because of that.
Above all, a remote launcher HAS to work when you hit the button or it is worse than having nothing.

The darn things were not cheap back when I bought them, if that is any consolation to you.

They do have one feature that I have indeed found very handy. There is a horn built in to the electronic releaser. That comes in VERY handy at the end of a long day when you are going out to pick yup your traps, especially if you hide them like I do.

RayG

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Rayg rhanks for the input the DT launchers are spendy but the next step down is not alot of savings. Looks like the LCS with 3 launchers is only 100 bucks less then DT with 3 launchers. I have used the DT and when the battery is fresh they launch good!

mudpuppy1299

Post by mudpuppy1299 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:48 am

I am also a fan of the LCS launchers.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:49 am

In ten years call me and let me know how those "economy launchers" work for you. Spend the money once on the right product and you shouldnt have to worry every time you take the dog out to train. Buy Dogtra. Not cheap, although from everything I hear neither are Honda's but they are both worth the money.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine