Sit at a distance command?

CacaoandNilla

Sit at a distance command?

Post by CacaoandNilla » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:14 pm

What's a good way to teach it? My 6 month old lab sits at whistle but I have yet to find a good tutorial to teach it at a distance. I have an e-collar but have yet to use it

thanks

Smitty's Labradors

Re: Sit at a distance command?

Post by Smitty's Labradors » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:32 pm

Collar conditioning is the best way. The Ecollar was designed for reinforcement at a distance. Start up close where the dog knows and understands the command, then slowly make the distance greater. Even if it is just a foot or 2 a day. You can add distractions later and what not later.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:29 pm

You can just keep stretching it out once the dog is perfect in close, but a collar can be very useful for remote sit....

If the dog knows the whistle is sit then its an easy step to go to Nick sit (with the collar)......After a proper collar conditioning.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Smitty's Labradors

Post by Smitty's Labradors » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Bird dog makes a good point, "proper collar conditioning." If you are uncomfortable using a collar or inexperienced with it, you may want to get some help. An E collar can be a very useful tool, but if used improperly, it can be be the opposite. The Tritronics training book is a good guide to help you through it. Just remember to be patient, it isn't an over night thing. Good luck!

Brittdogs

Post by Brittdogs » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:32 pm

I also train my dogs to sit at the whistle at any distance. Problem is they have the urge to run up to your side and then sit down. Method I use after dog knows command is a 10 foot piece of conduit with a snap ring bolted to one end. Basically becomes a long rigid leash. Give whistle blast, dog isn't able to come to your side since your holding the conduit, push back on conduit (assuming they are facing you, or side to side if not) to encourage/make the dog sit if they don't choose to do so at the whistle command. Could also use e-collar instead of a little force with the conduit if command is ignored.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:16 am

CacaoandNilla wrote:What's a good way to teach it? My 6 month old lab sits at whistle but I have yet to find a good tutorial to teach it at a distance. I have an e-collar but have yet to use it

thanks
Sitting at a distance is not an isolated command or skill, but rather an extension of whistle sit. That is done as a part of the basic handling course your dog should get through formal Basics.

The components of Basics in order

1) “Here”
2) “Heel & Sit”
3) “Hold”; automatically evolves to Walking “Hold, Heel, Sit”
4) “Fetch”; ear pinch, which evolves into Walking “Fetch” & “Fetch-no-fetch”, e-collar conditioning to “Fetch”
5) Pile work, including Mini-pile, Nine bumper pile; AKA Force to pile
6) 3-handed casting; teaching the 3 basic casts – “Back” and both “Over’s”, including 2-hands “Back”
7) Mini tee; includes collar conditioning to all basic commands, transferring to the go, stop, cast functions in micro dimension as preparation for the Single tee. Also includes De-bolting
8 ) Single tee
9) Double tee
10) Water force, Water tee with Swim-by

This is the foundation on which a sound retriever is built. These are the skills on which all more advanced skill as established. This is the core of a finished gundog.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:53 am

I think you can only expect just so much from a 6 month old pup. Kind of like getting a 6 year old human to do high school work. I agree with Smitty +1.

Working with increasing the distance a little at a time and not rushing to ge to far away to soon will result in a more positive result. Remember to always PRAISE when the dog does it right. Praising the dog at a distance is always a challenge. That is where verbal praise is the most important.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:16 pm

MikeB wrote:I think you can only expect just so much from a 6 month old pup. Kind of like getting a 6 year old human to do high school work. I agree with Smitty +1.
Of course. 6 months is only when you begin Basics. The skill he's looking for usually takes 1 to 1 1/2 years to solidify, and that is only an average.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 pm

I've been running a long line around a pole so I can stop her to sit this has been working alright because the last couple of days I've been able to get her to sit about 8 ft away even tho it is still a work in progress I think we are getting there.

Smitty's Labradors

Post by Smitty's Labradors » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:06 pm

The pup I am training and grooming for HT's, guiding waterfowl and as a future stud turns 7 months old next week. He is through basic obedience, hoping to finish up pile work this weekend and is steady 90% of the time. He has no problem with whistle sit at a distance. Of course he hasn't been stopped during any retrieves yet. That will come later. The way I built up to it this early in his young age was by going from heel/sit to stay, then built off the new idea of not being by side to teaching whistle sit and increasing the distance slowly. All done on the lowest level of stimulation with the E collar. Mine goes pretty low, I tested it with my fingers before I used it on him. When he does things right, he gets A LOT of praise. Good luck with your pup, hope it helps!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:09 pm

Like any other skill. Small steps and total consistency. I don't use a collar for this. I use a word and a hand sign so it can be read in the field without me saying anything. Can't imagine many times when I'd want a setter to ''sit at a distance'' though. I understand retrievers need that still though.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

SeniorCoot

Post by SeniorCoot » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:25 am

Sit works for me--don't know about pointers just my labs-one toot on whistle works better at all distances but sit is only word i know for sit

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:17 am

CacaoandNilla wrote:I've been running a long line around a pole so I can stop her to sit this has been working alright because the last couple of days I've been able to get her to sit about 8 ft away even tho it is still a work in progress I think we are getting there.
I have to ask; are you following a sound, proven method for this, or experimenting. I only ask because so far it looks like you are experimenting, and that is frought with potential peril for your dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1mx5_s71tY&feature=plcp

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:44 pm

It was an experiment that started 4 days ago. Today she sat 4 times in a row at 10-12 ft just on a check cord without going around the pole. I thought it was pretty good . We will work on distance a lot more but I think its a good start

huntnfmly

Post by huntnfmly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:11 pm

I was told by a Sportdog collar pro staff member and I used it on my Springer when you say sit and the dog walks towards you step towards the dog and repeat the sit command that will stop the dogs soon after the pre cue to the sit command will be you stepping towards the dog workedvery well and quick with my dog