holding a point

deodar

holding a point

Post by deodar » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:20 pm

I have a 1 yr old griffon who will hold a sight point (ie bird launcher) beautifully but wants to run in on a scent point (planted bird). If we use pigeons the bird usually flies away, we don't shoot but it doesn't seem to click with the dog that he gets no reward if he flushes and we don't shoot. Has anyone tried a flip release pigeon harness? I'm thinking if I can get hold of him when he initially points and release the harness and shoot the bird he might get the idea. I think he may have gotten smacked in the face by the launcher and that cured him of running in on it! :lol: He has a good nose, always finds the birds. Any input will be appreciated.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: holding a point

Post by DonF » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Start over with the launcher and this time hide it. Don't allow the dog right now to see anything it doesn't point.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:17 pm

DonF wrote:Start over with the launcher and this time hide it. Don't allow the dog right now to see anything it doesn't point.
+1. It sounds as though you have not been using the launcher properly and thus, been training him to sight point instead of scent pointing.
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Are you using a check cord and pinch collar?

Have you done your "yard work" yet? (no birds)

come to you, go with you and stand still?

If so I suggest that once you have the yard work done (rock solid) I would have a friend toss a tethered pigeon at your "yard trained" pup and make him stand. Use a pinch collar and check cord and kneel beside him with one hand on the collar holding it straight up and the other over his back and around his tummy. When the bird is tossed, he will probably lunge. When he does,slightly lift his back legs off the ground and give a sharp tug (check) with the pinch collar. Set his back legs down but be prepared for another lunge. Repeat the previous step until he stands with the bird tossed. Stroke him (reward) then lead him away. I usually do not do this more than two or three times a session.

After that, I suggest you move on to the field with a hidden, planted bird in a launcher. Check cord him in down wind, zig zag crossing pattern and when he catches scent, make him stand if he does not point (like in the yard) and have a friend flush and fire. Reward him and lead him away. Keep the drill going until you don't need to kneel beside him

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Second post. use a scent bird don't allow the dog any where near the launcher. A Lock wing pigeon 25 feet in front of launcher gets the bird that flies, away from the dog, eliminating a dog that has his nose over the launcher. Why do you think the dog is getting no reward? Of course he is getting a reward he is making the bird fly. You have to make the scent of the bird as well as the flight of the bird a cue to stand still. When the dog perceives standing still as creating the reward he will stand still.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:01 pm

If your like I was paying for birds then its hard to launch that bird when you know you should. If you have homing pigeons and a remote launcher just launch away and launch some more.. even if he doesint scent the bird but is walking to it and can see it flush/launch pop that bird. It worked for me when my pup got silly with birds and started flagging them.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:38 pm

zigzag wrote:If your like I was paying for birds then its hard to launch that bird when you know you should. If you have homing pigeons and a remote launcher just launch away and launch some more.. even if he doesint scent the bird but is walking to it and can see it flush/launch pop that bird. It worked for me when my pup got silly with birds and started flagging them.
Tether the birds to the launcher, use over and over ,save money. Make sure tether can not reach dog on scent bird