1st day on the collar

weekendwarrior

1st day on the collar

Post by weekendwarrior » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:38 am

I have a TT Field 90. My 8 month old lab was introduced today, per the video from the TT collar. He is much more disturbed about the collar shock on level 1, and made him turn into a different dog. Cowers, etc. He does know all the commands, heel, sit/stay, kennel, here, etc prior to the introduction of the collar.

I followed the TT video regarding introduction, but feel perhaps it was too much and largely scaring him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Maurice

Re: 1st day on the collar

Post by Maurice » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:15 am

The 90 model does not give you the smoothest or lowest amount of current, used by itself it can spook a dog. If you are using the nick button the preset time for it is to long, it is usless imo unless you want to burn the dog. Use should call tri tronics and tell them the problem that you are having.

Mo

weekendwarrior

Post by weekendwarrior » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:43 am

I was under the impression that the tubular models like the 70, 90, etc were far superior than the sport versions. If this unit is too much for my dog, why would it be ok for another?

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:05 am

The field 90 my brother inlaw has is hotter than the trash breaker I have I would have went with a pro 100 or pro 500. I curently use a pro 100 or a trash breaker but the trash breaker is to much for most dogs

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:25 am

S&J gsp wrote:The field 90 my brother inlaw has is hotter than the trash breaker I have I would have went with a pro 100 or pro 500. I curently use a pro 100 or a trash breaker but the trash breaker is to much for most dogs
Plus 1

Mo

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:58 am

I like my 200, just cause i use more momentary but you can deliver very light stims....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:17 am

I had the same problem. I was using the classic 70. I sent it back and got the sport dog 1825. I really wanted to go with tritronics and buy the best collar I could afford. It came down to buying a less expensive collar with 5 times the features. So far I am very pleased with my purchase.

rinker

Post by rinker » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:40 am

I always start my dogs wearing the collar months before I am going to shock them.

I could be wrong but I think the 90 is a little more popular with the hound/beagle guys that use it primarily to stop deer chases.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:23 pm

weekendwarrior wrote:I was under the impression that the tubular models like the 70, 90, etc were far superior than the sport versions. If this unit is too much for my dog, why would it be ok for another?
Most folks test the collar on their hand before using it on the dog to make sure the stim is right. I'd suggest doing that....if it's too hot - you may discover why your dog is acting the way he does.

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:56 pm

Paul, for now have the dog wear the collar when training, but use NO stimulation....lots of play and then get back to the responses your were getting from the dog when he wasn't wearing the e-collar. In the meantime, I would try to find someone with a different collar. Level one should be barely perceptible to your dog. I mean, all dogs are different, but something seems quite wrong with what happened. Definitely, no more stimulation until you work out the problem.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:48 pm

try a tt pro 100 18 levels of continuous stim and 6 level of momentary or the tt pro 200 they are almost the same other than it has 18 level of momentary and six levels of continuous,i got the pro 100 and level one continuous, is hard to feel on my arm. imo opinion if the collar is new bring it back and get something that will work for your dog

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:53 pm

FWIW I had a TT Pro 500 that was significantly hotter than the one my trainer owns. Traded it in on a different TT model, and all is well. So apparently there is a difference in power among models and individual units as well.

Be careful to not overwhelm your dog with commands and corrections. It's easy to get caught up in training mode with an expensive new tool and flood the dog with too much too soon. You don't want to be the guy going "Heel!" - ZAP! "Come!" - ZAP! "Stay," - ZAP! until the poor dog doesn't know what to do or not do. Start slowly, add slowly.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Now that the dog has got to cowering ( no fault of yours), personally I would put away all corrections with an e collars for a couple months and then start again. ( dogs have long memories.) Do have the dog wear the collar all day.

PS Always test your choice of level first.The dog should only twitch an ear or turn his head to look at you - no crying out and no cowering.
Did you transition from the CC to the collar?

edited: still thinking about it 8)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:15 pm

It may be a malfunction in the collar. Check it on yourself and let us know. The collar on the 1 setting should not make any dog cower, it should just tickle or tingle a little.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

weekendwarrior

Post by weekendwarrior » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I tested on myself before I ever did on him, and it isn't comfortable on me, for sure but not painful on level 1 either. Sometimes I nick on 1 with him and maybe it's the collar position but he doesnt respond...other times it scares him and he doesnt like it. He actually sat down and refused anything and I decided at that time I was done with this collar. Not sure if it varies in output, how much contact its making, etc.

For sale:
Brand new TT field 90.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:22 pm

Makes you wonder whether the collar is having variability in output. Some dogs are drama majors, but this does sound like a pretty extreme reaction - enough to put using it on hold for awhile until you figure out what's happening anyway.

Here's a link to an article by Kninebirddog. She's a GDF member and a Tri-tronics "Influential member" - don't know what that means, but it's a pretty well written article about intro and use of the e-collar. http://www.kninebirddog.com/understandi ... ollar.html

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:53 pm

weekendwarrior wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I tested on myself before I ever did on him, and it isn't comfortable on me, for sure but not painful on level 1 either. Sometimes I nick on 1 with him and maybe it's the collar position but he doesnt respond...other times it scares him and he doesnt like it. He actually sat down and refused anything and I decided at that time I was done with this collar. Not sure if it varies in output, how much contact its making, etc.

For sale:
Brand new TT field 90.
After such a glowing report , I'm sure you 'll have many calls. :wink: Consider the Dogtra 2500 with hand held beeper control. I think it's great!

http://www.cabelas.com/electronic-dog-c ... er-2.shtml
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

weekendwarrior

Post by weekendwarrior » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:47 pm

AzDoggin wrote:Makes you wonder whether the collar is having variability in output. Some dogs are drama majors, but this does sound like a pretty extreme reaction - enough to put using it on hold for awhile until you figure out what's happening anyway.

Here's a link to an article by Kninebirddog. She's a GDF member and a Tri-tronics "Influential member" - don't know what that means, but it's a pretty well written article about intro and use of the e-collar. http://www.kninebirddog.com/understandi ... ollar.html

Good luck and keep us posted!
Great article, AZDoggin...thx.

weekendwarrior

Re: 1st day on the collar-UPDATE

Post by weekendwarrior » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:44 pm

I talked to TT today...they were more than helpful, and I found operator error to be most of the problem.

First thing, to dispose of a common myth, the field 90 is NOT hotter than say a Sport Basic/Combo. The levels between the low and high stimulus are more adjustable, but level one is level one...with one exception. The Classic 70 is indeed a bit hotter due to different software.

Second. Labs require long contact points. They dont mention that in the documentation, and say that most would require short points, except for the longest of hair dogs.

Third. Fit. Turns out, it was too loose. They say that what you think is tight, go 3 holes tighter. If you can feed him/her a hot dog and have no problem swallowing, or hear any breathing probs you are fine. You should barely be able to get your finger under the buckle, and not under the unit itself hardly at all. Looser actually causes pain, abrasion, etc.

Thought I would share my novice experience with TT on this one for those of you who can benefit from this. Tried it on the dog today and he behaves on level one as if he doesnt know it's there. He requires level 2 to get a small reaction, whereas I had to go to level three before and if it was loose and made contact, he finally felt it, and it was more than he needed.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:35 pm

Great news - thanks for the update, ww - so many folks bring up a problem, but never complete the circle.

Glad to hear your collar is fine and you don't have to mess with getting a different one. After this experience, you're going to be the resident expert on the output of a TT Field 90.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:59 pm

rinker wrote:I always start my dogs wearing the collar months before I am going to shock them.

I could be wrong but I think the 90 is a little more popular with the hound/beagle guys that use it primarily to stop deer chases.
Just a suggestion. : Let's not use the word "shock" ., or we will be losing e collars here as has happened in England. There is no amperage so let's call it , "I'm going to correct them."

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:02 pm

I use a pro 100 and love it. I test the collar on my neck before each use. I figure if the dog has to take it on the neck, I should "man up" and test it on my neck.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:19 pm

Do you try out the one that goes around the hind quarters too. :) Now that would be a REAL man. :)
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:14 am

Sharon wrote:Do you try out the one that goes around the hind quarters too. :) No that would be a REAL man. :)

Thats where I draw the line!!!!! :) Plus, I don't think they make a collar big enough to go around my waist. :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:11 pm

LOl :)

Pappy

Post by Pappy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:29 pm

I have used some of the collars my self. Some brands deliver more shock than other brands. I would test the collar before I would put it on the dog. What I did in the past, was put both my fingers on the contacts to see how much stimulation would be delivered. Fingers are not that sensitive, especially if your fingers are calloused. I have been training a new dog myself and before I put the collar on I test it on my leg this time. I actually pushed the contacts down as if the collar would be on a dog. What a difference in the shock. I had it on low and I could definitely feel lt. My advise to you is to test it on your self before you use it on your dog. Maybe that collar that you have has to high of a level of shock. Like I said some collars have less and more stimulation than other collars.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 am

Sport Dog 1800's come from the factory set on a high base level. A friend was working on his Britt on level one and it was making him flinch and yelp. He got out his instruction book and set the base level to low and that fixed the problem.

Seriously, I alway test my collar on my neck because I can't feel it on my hands or arms. With my Pro 100 on low level, I can barely feel it on my neck but I guarantee the dog can fee it on his flank.