Field Walks

uplandpointer

Field Walks

Post by uplandpointer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:28 pm

I've been taking my pup out to the field (since 8 weeks, so, short cut bail fields) every day since I've had her with two or three ecounters with a. baby pidgion b. chick pheasents c. shes encountered adult pidgion and tweety. Shes 10 weeks now, going with me all the time except when I'm working. The only problem is when in the field she is almost always behind me. The past few days she has wandered next to me and in front of me a few yards for 30 seconds or so. (I haven't said anything, maybe a good dog here or there, is that okay?)

She's amazingly well tempered and always stays with me when we go anywhere.

I'm just wondering what you guys and gals do with your pup on these young days during walks in the fields. She's starting to get a nose and sniffs around a lot. She's even brought me back feathers and broken egg shells from X and Y bird...covered in feathers.

I think I have a good pup and I think she will gain more confidence with time, shes just a pup!...just thinking of ideas to bring out confidence without putting any pressure on her, which is key...I think with no pressure I can get her to be steady enough on point to drop birds in front of her this season.

Please give any ideas or concern reguarding my post.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Field Walks

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:04 pm

You need to be looking at what program your gonna use unless you already have a method you use. bird seasons 2-3 months off, dog is 2 1/2 months old, I don't think i would be worried about doing any shooting over the dog this season if it was mine. JMO..... There is surely more than one road to china tho .......

I would be doing happy walks and letting the dog bump and chase and get independent and bold. As well as bonding and basic manners around home. If the dogs a little timid i wouldn't even be afraid of letting it have it's way with a bird or two. Build up the prey drive and independence there will be plenty of time for hunting. again JMO
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:41 pm

when you get out in the field try just standing in one place. She will soon get bored and start to wander off. Just follow her at a slow pace and when she comes back just stop ( no petting or praise ). Hopefully she will soon get the idea of being the leader then you can pick the route.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Brittguy wrote:when you get out in the field try just standing in one place. She will soon get bored and start to wander off. Just follow her at a slow pace and when she comes back just stop ( no petting or praise ). Hopefully she will soon get the idea of being the leader then you can pick the route.

BINGO!!

You gotta remember that a little puppy can be seriously slowed and even intimidated by 8-10 inch grass, much less high, thick weeds. They can't step over it or bull their way through it like a bigger dog can. They also simply do not have the stamina.

Let the dog find its legs. Patience.

As far as hunting the dog this fall, tht seems a little quick. I certainlky wouldn't expect to hunt over my dogs at anything less than10-12 months of age. Also at that age, it would be more about exposure and training than about hunting for me.

RayG

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:17 pm

I was in the same boat as you not to long ago> My pup just turned 18 weeks, and is now starting to run like crazy in the field. You have explained exactly what he would do not to long ago. Just give it some time and let them have fun and grow. Before you know it you will be looking back and thinking how small they used to be. Now i cant stop him from running off. :D

LaTexCLB

Post by LaTexCLB » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:14 pm

A 10 week old puppy that hangs in close - - -nothing to worry about. Just keep taking it for walks. The nose and prey drive will kick in as well as their sense of independence. This is a very young pup....
Impressive KaZoya Rusty Mia Reduxx http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genedit.php?id=4133