Spanking New Spinone

ThePope

Spanking New Spinone

Post by ThePope » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:01 pm

I am picking up a 16 week old Spinone on monday. My intentions are to have a well trained hunting gun dog. I have "trained ' several dogs to be very obedient and respectful.I have been studying up quite a bit and ordered all basics necessities which arrived today. Bumpers , Wings , Check Cords , Bumpers , Launcher and
a Sport Dog 1225.
The dog comes from a moderate hunting background. I know the breed quiet well as "pets" > I actually lived in Italy and had a Spinone , giant Schnauzer mix for 15 years. Amazing animal.
I have a few questions , from a nube , so - sorry - I am sure its covered on a regular bascis.
If any one has any good knowladge on getting theese dogs working my ears are wide open.

1, how young is too young ... basic e collar training
2. best method / age / specific techniques to introduce wings & birds
3. best method / age to introduce dummy launchers
4. basic problems to look for at 16 weeks ( training wise ) Its a few week older than I would have choose myself ...

any solid on breed advice

And A pre thanks , have been reading around quiet a bit , plenty of good advice here it seems

Ms. Cage

Re: Spanking New Spinone

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:38 pm

IMO it would be best to hook up with some one who is a experienced trainer and guide you through the steps.

ThePope

Post by ThePope » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:39 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:IMO it would be best to hook up with some one who is a experienced trainer and guide you through the steps.
always solid advice , seek experience ,
makes it sound simple ,
best way to find the local talent ?
I am in Philla , Pa

thanks

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 am

You could always check into a NAVHDA chapter and attend their training days. Here are the chapters in your area.

http://www.navhda.us/ChapterInfo.aspx?ChapterAbbrev=KEY

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:02 am

Welcome to the site. I am just 20 minutes out of Philly. Just over the bridge from Trenton. We could always try to hook up. You might look into Water and Wings. It is a club not far from philly. Pete DeAngilis, sorry if I misspelled, trains out of there. I have been told he is great with dogs. Have seen several that he has trained. Most are winners. Hit me up some time.

Joe

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:59 am

ThePope

Post by ThePope » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:55 am

I can see this place will be a go to for advice !
Thanks

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:22 pm

First of all, congrats on choosing the best breed. :wink:
My spin pup is about the same age, and she's my first spin, so I'm also in the learning mode. I can tell you that she seems to be a really quick learner and is eager to please. She likes earning rewards and praise. I'm working lightly on the basics -- come, whoa, sit, heel. Haven't decided yet when I'll start the e-collar.
Her bird interest appears to be strong. I've been planting a lot of pigeons for her and letting her find them — not really training, just letting her learn on her own that she can't catch them. She learning that if she points at them, she can keep the game going, and can keep the wonderful scent blowing in her face, and can keep the excitement up.
She never had an aversion to water, but it took some conniving to get her to swim. I used another swimmer dog to show her how fun it is. She retrieves bumpers in the water all the time now, no hesitation at all.
She's taken only a couple or three stabs so far at tracking a frozen chukar dragged in a field. She seemed to do well on it. Stayed pretty much along the path and found the bird each time.

Good luck with the pup!