New Pup

Hunt1Fish2

New Pup

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:46 pm

I got a new pup named Chief. He is 9 week old male yellow lab that ive had for three days. I've already brought him to the lake to play and get use to the water. To my surpise, he went for a little walk and swim in the water by his self with no need for me to even get him next to the water. He loves it!!! He is also already playing fetch and learning a few basic commands. I only give him praise and I've only given him a treat once after a really long retrieve. I've never trained any dogs before because I'm only 17. Is there any tips that you guys have for me for training?? Any and all are appreciated. Thanks.

SHORTFAT

Re: New Pup

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:59 am

Welcome to the site & glad to hear you got a pup! Be patient with the training and generous with praise... your pup needs to bond with you first. :D Let him be a pup and enjoy it cuz they grow quick! Get some books and if you can, find someone with experience in training dogs. Work with basic obedience first and build a foundation for everything else with a well behaived dog. He was bred for hunting so if you teach him how to listen and learn from you then the flushing or retrieving, or whatever style of hunting you'll be doing will be more like fine tuning than work. Find yourself someone who has hunting Labs and experience in training. Remember, with your first dog the two of you will be learning together! He will be a special pup for you! Enjoy & good luck! Patience! & post some pics! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:51 pm

That's a cool name. Welcome to the forum and lets see some pics.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:00 am

Thanks. And is it possible to upload photos from a phone?

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:00 am

Don't give him more than two or three retrieves each day and try to quit when he wants more....too many retrieves can make him bored with it. If you are serious about training to a high level, get Evan Graham's "smartwork" and read it. He's on this site and offers help with his training methods. At seven weeks old though just have fun with pup and like mentioned above bond with the little dude.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Let the pup be a pup for now and let it discover everything, and slowly introduce things like sit, here ect. no more than 15min. though you dont want to burn him out like Red said. I recommend Tom Dokkens Retriever Training, that is packed with pictures and tons of info.

Corry

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 am

Hunt 1 Fish 2,

How many puppy vaccinations has your pup had? I wouldn't take my pup out until it's had at least 2 puppy shots including Parvo & Corona virus too. Maybe I'm over cautious. Better safe than sorry. He can have Rabies Vaccination at 4 months.

Hunt1Fish2

Post by Hunt1Fish2 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks for the being outside advice. and I also bought both of those books and a training video on cables today. basiccommands are doing reals good like sit, here, and lay down. I will get some pics loaded tomorrow :D