EP retrieving

Big bloc

EP retrieving

Post by Big bloc » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:03 pm

I have 7 month EP that retrieves 99.999 of the time. She has started bringing it in but wants to come in behind me. I use a check cord but cant pull in fast enough to get her in front of me. I am using frozen pigeon she likes it. How do I get her to not circle around me. I welcome any ideas. Thanks
Never ever tease a gundog. Build rapport

DoubleA31

Re: EP retrieving

Post by DoubleA31 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 am

I would like to hear some ideas on this too. I have a britt that does the same thing. We finished ff and does everthing he's supposed to, but gos wide right and circles in behide me. He doesn't do this when recalled. Ive been doing short retrieves with a short cc not let he get behind. Forcing him to stay in front. Also been give him hot dog slices for a xtra reward for doing it correct. Hopefully he will figure it out shortly. Good luck with ur pup

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:27 pm

When she is on her way back to you walk backwards a couple steps then when she is a couple steps away from you take to quick steps foward and cut her off. Take the bird and praise, praise, praise.( not quick where it startles her but , just enough where she doesnt have time to cirlce you.) It worked for me. JMO

Mike

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 pm

Just about every pointing dog i've ever owned would try and do the victory lap around me, It never really bothered me so i let it go....

Now a days I usually Whoa the dog once they are in front of me, I don't use heel I use whoa to take the delivery to hand.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 pm

birdogg42 wrote:When she is on her way back to you walk backwards a couple steps then when she is a couple steps away from you take to quick steps foward and cut her off. Take the bird and praise, praise, praise.( not quick where it startles her but , just enough where she doesnt have time to cirlce you.) It worked for me. JMO

Mike
This is what I would do also.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Idylwyld

Post by Idylwyld » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm

Try kneeling as dog comes in with the bird. If that works gradually stand up as dog is coming in.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 pm

Idylwyld wrote:Try kneeling as dog comes in with the bird. If that works gradually stand up as dog is coming in.
Like this approach as well.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way