gsp going to a trainer

Adamdirk

gsp going to a trainer

Post by Adamdirk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:55 am

I am new to gun dogs and was going to take my pup to a trainer, but had some concerns. first, my dog is in the house and a family pet. is there anything to worry about with staying in an outdoor kennel? I may be over analyzing everything but I get nervous leaving my pup with someone else. are there any questions I should ask the trainer before commiting to his program? any help is appreciated, thanks.

Ghosted3

Re: gsp going to a trainer

Post by Ghosted3 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 am

It is something to be concerned about because like you mentioned it is a family pet, but at the same time as long as you find a reputable trainer you should be just fine, and as far as the dog staying inside or out, that will just make your pup that much happier to come home :D

Corry

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:00 am

I have sent a few away and have two with the trainer right now. Any good trainer isn't going to put your dog in harms way. They are dogs, they adapt, the trainer has birds and becomes their new best friend. Kind of disappointing for the owner when you go vist and all you get is a quick hello and they run back to the trainer :roll:
Only issue I have when they come home is an initial reestablishment of pack order since I have seven. Sometimes it's a day of them grumbling at each other and my enforcement of peace in the pack before order is restored.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:19 am

I wouldn't worry - even my vizsla adapted fine. Dang thing didn't even give me more than a glance when I picked him up. He goes back this weekend for summer camp. They love it!

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:46 am

I trust the trainer completely, I am just worried about my dog picking up some bad habits like excessive barking. has any one encountered this?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Dogs do learn from other dogs. IMO there is a slight risk of your dog increasing it's barking. That being said I've sent them to trainers & had them come back the same as when they left. There will be a greater risk the dog will pee or poop in the house when it initially returns. You can use the crate more the first few days for insurance. Watch it closely after food & water to get it outside . A few days of remedial potty training usually will gets things back to normal. If they've been on a chain gang a lot you may notice them spinning more or wanting to walk in a circle around you, tangling your legs in leashes.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:29 pm

If you have a good trainer, many more positives than negatives. I have always sent atleast one of our dogs to the trainer for the Summer. It's good for a dog to learn how to be a dog. Good luck. I'm sure you will be happy

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks guys, i needed a little reassurance.