Barking at/chasing the cat

tahi193

Barking at/chasing the cat

Post by tahi193 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:59 am

I have a one year old setter (Ellie) who hunts everything that moves including my cat. She stalks the cat and then barks at her when she gets her in a corner. Ellie is afraid of the cat so I don't think she would ever do any actual damage but it scares the cat to death. I'm surprised the cat (indoor/outdoor) hasn't left to find a new home by now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this behavior? Will an e-collar work? I read about hunters teaching dogs not to chase rabbits with an e-collar.

Right now my solution is to separate them as much as possible but they inevitably meet at night when everyone comes inside. I've solved several weird issues with this dog through patience but I can't seem to get a handle on this one. I would really appreciate any thoughts you guys have. Thanks!

AzDoggin

Re: Barking at/chasing the cat

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 pm

tahi193 wrote:I have a one year old setter (Ellie) who hunts everything that moves including my cat. She stalks the cat and then barks at her when she gets her in a corner. Ellie is afraid of the cat so I don't think she would ever do any actual damage but it scares the cat to death. I'm surprised the cat (indoor/outdoor) hasn't left to find a new home by now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this behavior? Will an e-collar work? I read about hunters teaching dogs not to chase rabbits with an e-collar.

Right now my solution is to separate them as much as possible but they inevitably meet at night when everyone comes inside. I've solved several weird issues with this dog through patience but I can't seem to get a handle on this one. I would really appreciate any thoughts you guys have. Thanks!
Unfortunately, the dog isn't learning anything when separated from the cat. I've trained our dogs to leave the cats alone by putting a Herm Springer prong collar and check cord on them in the house. Doesn't take too many encounters with the cats - a sharp "NO' coupled with a pinch correction does the trick. Alternatively, you could tether the dog to your belt on a leash when in the house for awhile just using a flat collar, and a "NO" and collar correction if the dog reacts to the cat. After the behavior is eliminated when tethered to you, let the dog drag the leash (or check cord) in case you have to reach her from a distance.

This is training for in-house obedience. If you are consistent, your dog will catch on pretty quickly. When you can't supervise them, keep them separated until you are confident that they'll co-exist.

dreamerofdreams

Re: Barking at/chasing the cat

Post by dreamerofdreams » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:23 pm

Don't have much help... my cat is training my dog. Half the time when they race around the house it's the cat doing the chasing. He's particularly good at training her not to jump at the table, since he swipes her on the nose every time she tries.