Flank Collar?

dickey

Flank Collar?

Post by dickey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I have a six month old male ES that I am working on whoa with. I can stop him on the ground at heel with just a little pressure from a slip lead around his flank. When I try to go to the e-collar on the flank he freaks out tries to bite the collar, falls on the ground and rolls around like a gut shot indian in a John Wayne movie. He knows the command, stops on the groung and on a place board, I can walk all around him and he will not move. The collar is a Tri-Tronics Upland Special G3EXP on the lowest setting. He also knows how to turn the stimulation off by going into his kennel with the collar around the neck also on the lowest setting. I guess what I am asking is this a common reaction the first couple of times?

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Flank Collar?

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:23 pm

I would read up on the whoa post as Rick & Ronnie Smith teach it. I would also check the stimulation on my neck to see if something may be off. I would also let him dry run with the flank collar on with no stimulation untill he runs freely with gusto.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:02 am

You are way ahead of yourself wit trying to overlay the e collar . What you have done is trained the dog to shut off the collar by laying down. The dog does not understand the command because it is in a different context. The dog should be trained to whoa before you use the collar and it is not.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 am

Do you have the collar set on momentary, or continuous? That can make a big difference with the dog. Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:11 am

"bleep" wrote:I have a six month old male ES that I am working on whoa with. I can stop him on the ground at heel with just a little pressure from a slip lead around his flank. When I try to go to the e-collar on the flank he freaks out tries to bite the collar, falls on the ground and rolls around like a gut shot indian in a John Wayne movie. He knows the command, stops on the groung and on a place board, I can walk all around him and he will not move. The collar is a Tri-Tronics Upland Special G3EXP on the lowest setting. He also knows how to turn the stimulation off by going into his kennel with the collar around the neck also on the lowest setting. I guess what I am asking is this a common reaction the first couple of times?
Yes. LOL Don't give in.
"rolls around like a gut shot Indian in a John Wayne movie." too funny
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:38 pm

As suggested above read the Huntsmith process of teaching a point of contact also when the over lay process begin the level/amount of stimulation the e collar gives will have a lot to do with how the dog will respond ( as is in positive response to the cue )to or react ( as is a negative reaction to the stimulation) to the cue given by the e collar

http://www.huntsmith.com/article.php?id=15 Whoa post part 1
http://www.huntsmith.com/article.php?id=16 Whoa post part 2
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:16 pm

I cannot understand why you went to the flank collar in the first place? From what you said it seem's you had him and just decided to inject something un-needed for some reason unknown and are backing your dog up.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:34 pm

kninebirddog wrote:As suggested above read the Huntsmith process of teaching a point of contact also when the over lay process begin the level/amount of stimulation the e collar gives will have a lot to do with how the dog will respond ( as is in positive response to the cue )to or react ( as is a negative reaction to the stimulation) to the cue given by the e collar

http://www.huntsmith.com/article.php?id=15 Whoa post part 1
http://www.huntsmith.com/article.php?id=16 Whoa post part 2
Yup. Highly suggest you get the latest Huntsmith DVD. It details the whoa breaking process in very good detail, telling you just what to look for to know when the dog is ready to move to the e-collar on the flank. It's very well done IMO. http://www.huntsmith.com/product.php?id=16 It'll be the best $40 you'll spend.

They do show dogs in there that get "sticky" when the e-collar is strapped on the flank, even with no stimulation. You would expect that if the flank was used as the point of contact for "whoa." The trainer's job is then to get the collar on the flank (NO STIMULATION) and walk the dog around with the checkcord until the dog is behaving normally again....only then do you begin again, and with the lightest setting to which the dog will respond.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 pm

The flank is the most sensitive area, to put a ecollar on a 6 mo old there is really asking for problems.
brenda

dickey

Post by dickey » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:12 pm

This is not the first time he has had the collar on the flank every time I taken him out to run for the last two weeks I have put the collar on the flank, he moves very well with it on, does't do the "rodeo horse". I think I will hold off with the collar on the flank for reenforcing whoa until the dog is older. He stands nice and proud on a barrel, and on a place board I can walk all the way around him on both. Like I said in the original post he knows what the whoa command is with a slip lead on the flank. I apply some pressure when I give the whoa command while he is walking beside me he stops on a dime and will not move until I tap him on the head and release him with "OK". Might be rushing him along too fast, I'll just stick with the show pup drills for now. Thanks for the help.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:54 pm

"bleep" wrote:This is not the first time he has had the collar on the flank every time I taken him out to run for the last two weeks I have put the collar on the flank, he moves very well with it on, does't do the "rodeo horse". I think I will hold off with the collar on the flank for reenforcing whoa until the dog is older. He stands nice and proud on a barrel, and on a place board I can walk all the way around him on both. Like I said in the original post he knows what the whoa command is with a slip lead on the flank. I apply some pressure when I give the whoa command while he is walking beside me he stops on a dime and will not move until I tap him on the head and release him with "OK". Might be rushing him along too fast, I'll just stick with the show pup drills for now. Thanks for the help.
Sounds like a good dog and that you are moving along well with him. I agree with Snips about the age - apparently my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be. :oops:

As Delmar Smith used to say "the slower you go, the quicker you get there."

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Take it from someone that has pushed too fast with a pup. There really isn't a rush.
6 months is pretty young.
Steve

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Take the collar off , go have fun for a couple 3-4 months......There is no rush. Dogs remember and a long break won't set you back at all, put you ahead hopefully. I'd be letting that dog run free and bumping and chasing a little if it wanted to.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 am

You never answered my question, is the collar set on momentary, or continuos? That will make the difference between reactions, between 8 seconds, or a blink of an eye.

Now, I wonder on something. If you established things between you an the dog, and all is going well. Why would you take the ecollar off? That is a change in the rules, or what is has sucessfully leaned from. So, why change that. To me, that is only gonna let the dog know how to get away with not working. Or, get away from what you are asking it to do. It would be the same as getting ready to work, and taking the check cord off an trying to get it to do something. It might do it, and it might wont. It wont have to now, because there isnt any control, or paying attention, between you two.

The age is a lil young imo, but if you are teaching a few manners, and not using it with the birds. It shouldnt hurt. I wouldnt overkill it. The key is you have to adjust yourself to the dog, the amounts of time, and your hands on, with the dog. Your timing is everything. The short an simple stuff will pay off, because the dog isnt put in a position to panic.

This is just my opinion, and you can think on things this way............." Its not what you do, but........ What and How you do it" You be fair and patient, and the dog will do it to. Thanks Jonesy
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

dickey

Post by dickey » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:59 pm

tailcrackin, sorry when I started him on the kennel command, I did alot of showing him what I wanted him to do. I would say kennel and push him into the kennel, starting at about three months. I got to the point that he was about 85% when I said the command. Then I overlayed the command with the e-collar on the lowest level of continuous stimulation that he could feel, which happens to be level one. I would turn on the stimulation give him the command get him into the kennel and turn off the stimulation. About five times of the stimulation coming on before the command and he would go into the kennel, he learned going into the kennel turned off the stimulation. He will go into the kennel now on stimulation alone. Now if I say the command and he does not go into the kennel all I have to do is turn on the stimulation and in he goes.
When I tried the e-collar on the flank I had it on continuous also. My plan was to do the same as I did with the kennel command. Stimulation comes on, on the flank, before the whoa command which he knows until he will stop on stimulation alone. Just rushing him too much. Going to pump my brakes and slow down with him no rush. He is only six month old kind of on the soft side.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:12 pm

Good post Jonsey. I also agree with some of the other posters that the OP is trying to move too fast. IMO, too many people start and push the training too fast and end up with a half trained dog. Patience is a virtue [something I haven't always had] and letting a puppy play, explore and have fun for the first several months to a year without any serious training, other than the basics and manners, will pay off in the end IMO. I have no problem taking two to three years to train/finish a dog and I have no problem taking eight, nine mos. or depending on the dog, a year old before I start formal training and taking it slow when I do start. Being able to read the individual dog will really depend on how soon to start and how fast you can proceed of course. The bottom line is take your time and do it right. There will be times when you may have to back up and start over. With that being said, you will end up with a fully trained dog instead of a half trained dog. I also agree with Jonesy on the difference between the nick and continuous with the e-collar, especially on the flank, and I hope I didn't get too far off the original question. :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:13 pm

"bleep" wrote:tailcrackin, sorry when I started him on the kennel command, I did alot of showing him what I wanted him to do. I would say kennel and push him into the kennel, starting at about three months. I got to the point that he was about 85% when I said the command. Then I overlayed the command with the e-collar on the lowest level of continuous stimulation that he could feel, which happens to be level one. I would turn on the stimulation give him the command get him into the kennel and turn off the stimulation. About five times of the stimulation coming on before the command and he would go into the kennel, he learned going into the kennel turned off the stimulation. He will go into the kennel now on stimulation alone. Now if I say the command and he does not go into the kennel all I have to do is turn on the stimulation and in he goes.
When I tried the e-collar on the flank I had it on continuous also. My plan was to do the same as I did with the kennel command. Stimulation comes on, on the flank, before the whoa command which he knows until he will stop on stimulation alone. Just rushing him too much. Going to pump my brakes and slow down with him no rush. He is only six month old kind of on the soft side.
Sorry "bleep", we were typing at the same time.

Charlie

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:00 am

Good post by Jonesey. Here's another thing: I never, as Don F said, put a flank collar on. Nor, do I ever train or hunt without a neck collar. The dog will make is living with an ecollar on. Put a flank collar on, and he knows he's in a set up from the start.

To me, the flank collar is used for special problems but most dog's I work with NEVER have one on.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:58 am

Turn the juice down to just a nusiance level and go back to the heel and whoa untill the dog gets the idea of what you want. you cant use the same level on the flank as around the neck, generally about half as much.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:01 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Good post by Jonesey. Here's another thing: I never, as Don F said, put a flank collar on. Nor, do I ever train or hunt without a neck collar. The dog will make is living with an ecollar on. Put a flank collar on, and he knows he's in a set up from the start.

To me, the flank collar is used for special problems but most dog's I work with NEVER have one on.

+1 , and I've never had to put a collar on a dogs flank......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm

MAYBE WHEN YOU GET ONE THAT CROUCHS OR LAYS DOWN YOU MIGHT FIND THE NEED

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:56 pm

If its finding birds for the gun I don't care if it takes a nap :lol:

Why the yelling ? Not every training method or trainer needs or wants to use the flank......Isn't it grand there is always more than
one road to china. :wink:

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:16 pm

I know a couple of very successful pro trainers that dog a lot of their birdwork drills with a flank collar on the dog. The stim level is set VERY low.

I personally do not use a flank collar for anything besides creeping and I use it on momentary at the lowest level when on the flank. I do not stimulate a dog around birds when the collar is on the neck...UNLESS the dog busts in or chases. Then it gets a correction for failure to whoa, which is an obedience command.

For most of my field training the collar is on the neck. The dogs know that point of contact and what to expect when they do not do what they have been trained to do.

RayG

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:47 pm

birddog1968 wrote:If its finding birds for the gun I don't care if it takes a nap :lol:

Why the yelling ? Not every training method or trainer needs or wants to use the flank......Isn't it grand there is always more than
one road to china. :wink:
I agree. I personally don't use the collar on the flank. I have a time or two in the past but decided I didn't need it. However, I know of some who use it with their method of training and that is fine.

Charlie

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:26 pm

It's not the location of the flank collar that matters as much as the ability and understanding of the person operating the transmitter. :D

Whoa can be trained successfully on either location, neck or flank. Good trainers can use both depending on the dog.

dickey

Post by dickey » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:01 pm

I have been using a combination of the George Hickox and Sherry Ray Ebert methods of training. Since this is the first pointing dog that I have trained ( started with one then got orders to go to Iraq and had to sell him back to the breeder) I just want to make sure that I do not do anything to mess him up.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:46 pm

"bleep" wrote:I have been using a combination of the George Hickox and Sherry Ray Ebert methods of training. Since this is the first pointing dog that I have trained ( started with one then got orders to go to Iraq and had to sell him back to the breeder) I just want to make sure that I do not do anything to mess him up.
Not knowing either of these methods is hard to comment. Generaly, mixing methods for a novice is not a great idea. If I were you I would:

1. free run the pup and let him have his first year with no major pressure. Let him chase trash birds, buttrtflys etc.

2. Pick a method that you understand from start to finish and use it.

3. Find a experienced training partner that uses your method.

4. Slow down a little and enjoy his childhood. You will never see him again as a pup.

Have fun and be patient.

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:02 pm

I would also take the ecollar off of continuos. That is where the bad reaction from the dog is coming from....imo. I will not tell you what, why, or how, to work your dog, because that is a method you have to decide on. The one thing you will have to be careful of, imo, is if you use continuos on the neck, or flank........that dog will possibly try to fly to the kennel, so the stimulation will stop. That might be a touch of a booger you might have created. Time will tell you. Thanks Jonesy
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:38 pm

Not to hijack, but I have noticed some pictures recently with flank collars that are Ecollars, is there a reason for that, or just the extra collar to use? Sorry I am not use to E collars yet, still have to do all my research on those and get the right one lol.

Corry

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:50 am

You probably shouldn't have asked that! :mrgreen: Anymore there are few people that realize that collars do come without reciever's that shake, talk and zap! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:01 am

Ghosted3 wrote:Not to hijack, but I have noticed some pictures recently with flank collars that are Ecollars, is there a reason for that, or just the extra collar to use? Sorry I am not use to E collars yet, still have to do all my research on those and get the right one lol.

Corry

The ecollar is used on the flank by some folks to apply stimulation for certian training issues.....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno