Astro 320 & e collar question

gabbychuck

Astro 320 & e collar question

Post by gabbychuck » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:51 pm

I just purchased a astro 320 and I was wondering how guys with a astro and e collar are putting them both on one collar? Are u using the collar that comes with the astro or a different way? Is it best to put the e collar first then the astro so the antenna doesn't get in the way. Thanks

rinker

Re: Astro 320 & e collar question

Post by rinker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:57 pm

320 is the hand held, you must also have a dc40 collar. I have dc30 collars, so I don't know exactly how to put the ecollar receiver on the same strap. I actually prefer having the ecollar and astro collar on seperate straps. I'm sure that someone on here can help you with this.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:55 am

gabbychuck wrote:I just purchased a astro 320 and I was wondering how guys with a astro and e collar are putting them both on one collar? Are u using the collar that comes with the astro or a different way? Is it best to put the e collar first then the astro so the antenna doesn't get in the way. Thanks
I also use two collars but if I was going to put them both on one collar I'd use the method you suggest. The idea is to end up with the units at about the 4:30 & 7:30 positions on the dog's neck.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:37 am

I don't put my units on the same collar. I worry about getting the proper fit on the e-collar. I place the e-collar high and tight on the neck and the gps low and loose.

If you do put them on the same collar, the proper way is to put the e-collar on the same side as the gps antenna. The reason for this is, on the dc40, the satellite receiver is on the end opposite the antenna. If you put the e-collar on that side, you could get some shadowing that may affect gps reception.

The placement on the neck would then be with the e-collar at perhaps the 5:00 position and the gps at the 8:00 position with the end opposite the antenna oriented up towards the sky.

gabbychuck

Post by gabbychuck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:07 am

Thanks for the help. Guess i should maybe just consider the 2 collars seperate. I was just thinking that i have the e collar and the dc-40 and a tag collar and since we are still starting out i still work with a leather pinch collar with a long check lead on some stuff. She is 8 moths old and this is my first dog to train so it is a lot of learning going on and didnt want her to try and tote around a ton of collars.

gabbychuck

Post by gabbychuck » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:45 pm

Just one more thing. Do you guys run a ID tag on the ecollar then?

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Yes, the brass ones from Gundog Supply are on all my collars. E-collars, Garmins, etc.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:16 pm

I have put a brass id tag on my Garmin and ecollars as well.
Steve

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Az Draht wrote:I don't put my units on the same collar. I worry about getting the proper fit on the e-collar. I place the e-collar high and tight on the neck and the gps low and loose.

If you do put them on the same collar, the proper way is to put the e-collar on the same side as the gps antenna. The reason for this is, on the dc40, the satellite receiver is on the end opposite the antenna. If you put the e-collar on that side, you could get some shadowing that may affect gps reception.

The placement on the neck would then be with the e-collar at perhaps the 5:00 position and the gps at the 8:00 position with the end opposite the antenna oriented up towards the sky.
It's too bad the manual with the unit doesn't have info on the proper positioning. All I was thinking about was the awkwardness of flexing the antenna around the e-collar & whether over the long haul that could shorten the life of the antenna or the antenna/receiver connection. Good thing you provided the correct info.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:50 am

I always run my dog with two collars. If I could, I would not put both units on one collar.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.