Commands for a new puppy

Tgrygtc

Commands for a new puppy

Post by Tgrygtc » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:19 am

I have a 3 month old male yellow lab which I intend to use for dove, and possibly duck hunting. What are the main commands and techniques I should be teaching him? All he really knows now is sit, lay down, and am in the process of stay. Right now he comes when he wants to. Are there any ideas to enforce come? He flushed up a wounded dove the other day and took it and ran with it and ate it in one gulp. I know he's young but does anyone have some advice? Also at what age should I bring him into the field with me?

AzDoggin

Re: Commands for a new puppy

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Suggest you investigate a training program for retrievers.

Smartwork by Evan Graham is one. There are others.

Otherwise, you'll never develop your pup to his potential.

Good luck.

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:24 pm

always have him on a check cord in the yard so you can enforce come.....teach the basics: sit, come, heel, kennel...I don't teach stay (sit means sit until given the ok to move)........short, simple retrieves.....don't wear out the pup...keep him wanting more.....extend distances when pup is ready......get into water...make it all fun...let him be a pup....most retriever trainers like to have basic obedience completed by around 6 months...then formal obedience begins....good luck

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:33 pm

If by chance you have a Kindle, download Tom Dokken's Retriever Training book (9.99 for kindle) otherwise a bit more expensive for normal book. Has every basic command, equipment list, and some of the advanced stuff as well. Very good read thus far and I am not finished yet. It also has pictures on certain things so you can make sure you are doing some of the stuff correctly.

Corry

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:37 am

Tgrygtc wrote:I have a 3 month old male yellow lab which I intend to use for dove, and possibly duck hunting. What are the main commands and techniques I should be teaching him? All he really knows now is sit, lay down, and am in the process of stay. Right now he comes when he wants to. Are there any ideas to enforce come? He flushed up a wounded dove the other day and took it and ran with it and ate it in one gulp. I know he's young but does anyone have some advice? Also at what age should I bring him into the field with me?
Your pup needs the same fundamental education any retriever does. It starts with "Here", and proceeds through Sit, Heel, Kennel, Down, etc. But remember to keep it light and positive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVbFKGrS5DE&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtFGWtp-hPs&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNSMLPYLJc&feature=plcp

And much more. The Smartwork Puppy Program DVD will show you how.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum