Which launchers and electronics?

Waterdogs1

Which launchers and electronics?

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:16 pm

It looks like I am going to need to get some launchers. I used Dogtra years ago and they were great. I didn't know if their launchers were still good or if their is something better out. The good thing about their Electronics is I can use it for my wingers for retriever training as well. I have TT electronics but it will not work with any of the launchers for upland. I have five month old GSP that need to start working. Thanks for any info Advice.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

Waterdogs1

Re: Which launchers and electronics?

Post by Waterdogs1 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Also who has the best price?
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"

weekendwarrior

Post by weekendwarrior » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:53 pm

I bought the LCS launchers to save money. Mistake.....it's the former Innotek stuff. You get what you pay for.

I exchanged them for DT launchers and love them. Not much more expensive, and not near the price of Dogtra. GDS is my source. Great service and prices.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:15 am

I have used the Innoteck launchers for about 10 years and only have problems when the batteries get low.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:58 am

I use the Lion Country launcher now and no problems.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

jczv

Post by jczv » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:45 am

Posted on your other thread - here's the same stuff:

Not quite sure if your looking at retrofitting some manual launchers or just buying the complete setups. My 2 cents on what is available.

The dogtra and tritronics laucher receiver electronics is superior (solenoid based) to the dt systems and lion country/gun dog supply blII servo motor based system. The cheap servo motors gears strip although cheap to replace if you do it yourself. Essentially you need to be more careful with the servo based design - but they are significantly cheaper.

The quality of the transmitter of the dogtra/tritronics looks high quality like their ecollar transmitters. The transmitter for the DT systems launchers is a cheaply made piece of crap. The buttons wear off, and the contacts do not work consistently. The case and electronics look like something you'd expect in a $5 radio not something they want $125 to replace. I'm actually considering replacing all the electronics on my DT launchers with either tritronics or dogtra instead of buying a 3rd transmitter. I have no idea about (I've never handled or used) the lion country/blII transmitter.

The owner of this website does some good comparisons:

dogtra vs. tritonics
http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tronics ... stems.html

It also appears they now sell the same 'generic' launchers that lion country does
http://search.store.yahoo.net/gundog/cg ... query=blii

Good luck!

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:49 am

I have read a couple of times where someone made a manual launcher in to a remote launcher using some kind of replacement lock mechanism for a car door. Has anyone ever heard of this?

weekendwarrior

Post by weekendwarrior » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm

DonF wrote:I use the Lion Country launcher now and no problems.
My biggest complaint was the launcher not getting the signal (very close usually) and failing to launch..then the dog was on top of it and wasted training. Also, they were very loud and actually jumped off the ground they were so violent when they went off.

Maybe I got lemons, but BOTH of them were very questionable and not reliable. The DT systems ones are so much more stable, quiet, and the remote doesnt feel like a toy.

AZ Brittany Guy

Re: Which launchers and electronics

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:13 pm

weekendwarrior wrote:
DonF wrote:I use the Lion Country launcher now and no problems.
My biggest complaint was the launcher not getting the signal (very close usually) and failing to launch..then the dog was on top of it and wasted training. Also, they were very loud and actually jumped off the ground they were so violent when they went off.

Maybe I got lemons, but BOTH of them were very questionable and not reliable. The DT systems ones are so much more stable, quiet, and the remote doesnt feel like a toy.
You can soften the launch of the bird by adding key rings to the springs. I learned that trick for Moe L. I launch all the time at 100 yds. I agree with you on the "cheapness" of the transmitters. My first transmitter took a dump and it was a pain in the butt finding a replacement that worked with my 10 year old launchers.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:12 pm

You can also change out the springs to weaker ones. Got mine at Lowes. Now my launchers open like releasers.

justsomedude

Post by justsomedude » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:22 pm

rinker wrote:I have read a couple of times where someone made a manual launcher in to a remote launcher using some kind of replacement lock mechanism for a car door. Has anyone ever heard of this?
I'm in the process of doing this right now. 2 wire actuator, wireless remote control system, 2x9v batteries and a project box. Still in the testing phase, but I've only invested something like $15-20 so far. I've got the electronics down, but need to test it's strength using the 9v.