need help with my dogs

moodyd13

need help with my dogs

Post by moodyd13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:24 am

I have a gsp(female) and a gsp/springer spaniel(male). They are about 9 months old and have basic obedience. I just got me some pheasant and quail to raise so I can work on them. The male is more of a hunter then the female and very birdy but he doesn't point at the birds. I have seen him stop in his tracks and point like crazy but not with the birds. And my female points but when I plant the birds its like she doesn't know what to do. I am pretty good with dog training but this is my first time for game birddogs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: need help with my dogs

Post by Sharon » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:03 am

Suggestions:

Better to start with hard flying pigeons. Quail and pheasant are for the more experienced dog.

You say "the male is more "birdy" but doesn't point. "What does he do to indicate birdiness?

You say, " My female points but when I plant the birds its like she doesn't know what to do." Are you saying she points other things but not birds?

Some more info would be helpful.

Where did you get the dogs?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:25 am

What State are you from? May be someone close that could help or see the dogs reactions to better evaluate them. :)

moodyd13

Post by moodyd13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:12 am

Arkansas. And my male gets all excited and wagging, he hunts for them just don't point em out.. goes straight for the bird. But my quail aren't flushing. And is their somewhere I can buy these pigeons online? Can't find anyone around. My female points birds but when she's in the field she sniffed around a Lil n will just lay down like she don't know that she's suppose to hunt. But if I put the bird in front of her or the pen she will point them.

moodyd13

Post by moodyd13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 am

The male gets all excited and wiggles..he actually hunts for the birds but don't stop and point. He goes in for the bird. The female points at the bird if I have the bird in front of her or in the pen but not in the field. She will sniff around a Lil and lay down. (unless she's with the male) my birds are not lively though. They are still learning to fly so they don't flush. I might try a pheasant n buy me some pigeons.

I'm in central Arkansas. Would love for someone to meet up with me and work on em.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:03 pm

First of all, as far as the female goes, you need some good, hard flying birds....Pigeons would be the best to start with. The instincts are there and your GSP would be birdy and consistently pointing in no time. I will leave it to somebody else to give you a few details on how to go about this or you can research the forum . Also, check out some books and/or dvds on training pointing dogs.

Now, the same advise goes for the male, except you must keep in mind that he is part Springer and part GSP. He may or may not have a strong pointing instinct or a pointing instinct at all. Springers are flushing dogs, so just keep that in mind.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

moodyd13

Post by moodyd13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:51 pm

Ok, does anyone know some good dvds I cam hey for that and e collars.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:26 am

Maurice Lindley has a book ( Training with Mo) and a DVD, together they work very well. :)

moodyd13

Post by moodyd13 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:54 am

Not a big reader but I guess I can start lol. Anyone else know any good dvds for beginner training bird dogs? I also have a dogtra e collar and wana find a good dvd to go by teaching my dog

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:06 am

Rick Smith has a series of excellent DVDs for the beginner. Puppy Development 1 - 3. http://www.huntsmith.com

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:17 am

You may need to change you training method and expectations for your Springer Mix. He may have too much spanial in him to expect a point. You may need to pick up a good flusher/retreiver book/DVD for him.