Blackberries?

dickey

Blackberries?

Post by dickey » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:03 pm

Had Zeke my 7 month old ES out this past Sunday and Monday. He is still chasing and having all kinds of fun, bumped 4 woodcock over the two days. While running on Monday his bell went silent, I thought he was maybe pointing a bird, but when I got to him he was eating blackberries off the bush one by one. Maybe I can train him to but them in a bucket :lol: . Has enyone else had this happen to them?

moese

Blackberries?

Post by moese » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Not blackberries but my pups are big fans of raspberries. They're even wise enough to only pick and eat the ripe ones.

isonychia

Re: Blackberries?

Post by isonychia » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:57 pm

That is a pretty "bleep" cool characteristic! Instinct at its best!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:04 pm

my dad had a irish setter that would find and start eating persimmons and morell mushrooms. My step mom would follow her around the woods then shoo her off when she stopped to eat and see what she could find (sometimes it was just deer poop :D ).
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:49 pm

I had one that ate tomatoes off the vine. She always ate the ones that were ripe

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:01 pm

Mine eats blackberries too. I know he has to be getting thorns in his mouth?

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:36 pm

moese wrote:Not blackberries but my pups are big fans of raspberries. They're even wise enough to only pick and eat the ripe ones.
+1, my pup loves raspberries!

uplandpointer

Post by uplandpointer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 pm

+2....the neighbors and also ours. We both have big patches so her eating the bottom isn't a problem. Glad he doesn't mind, because he started it by hand feeding them to her when they first met!

They don't grow wild here, but still funny around the yard.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:33 pm

Bberry20 wrote:
moese wrote:Not blackberries but my pups are big fans of raspberries. They're even wise enough to only pick and eat the ripe ones.
+1, my pup loves raspberries!
My GSP eats them right off the bush!! She also loves blueberries and any other types of berries and fruit I give her. While she was teething I would give her frozen blueberries to eat and I still train with them.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:44 am

I've had a brittany and a GSP that liked to eat blaeberries ( A type of berry found among heather on the hills.)

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

fishpond

Post by fishpond » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:58 am

I've apple and pear trees in the backyard. All three of my GSPs eat the drops off of both.

they do seem to prefer the pears

dakotashooter2

Post by dakotashooter2 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 am

My springer was helping me pick peas and beans... well...not exactly helping.......nothing she picked made it to the bowl................... I had one that ate a small pumpkin... evident by the seeds she puked up.............................. I'm hoping this one doesn't figure out where the carrots come from or I won't have any left...............

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:52 am

fishpond wrote:I've apple and pear trees in the backyard. All three of my GSPs eat the drops off of both.

they do seem to prefer the pears
Tell them if you wait for wind falls you could go hungry you should just pick your own like this one :lol:
[img]http://i260.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:51 am

Next week we will have another thread saying you all wouldn't feed a dog food with some grain as the first ingredient because dogs only eat animal matter in the wild. Your dogs are demonstrating how they get the carbs and sugars they need that good dog foods include in their formuli.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:12 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Next week we will have another thread saying you all wouldn't feed a dog food with some grain as the first ingredient because dogs only eat animal matter in the wild. Your dogs are demonstrating how they get the carbs and sugars they need that good dog foods include in their formuli.

Ezzy
Isn't that the truth. Matter of fact it is my understanding that the first thing coyote's eat is the stomach content's. I had a shorthair years ago that loved blackberries. Also apples. His Name was Lonesome. he'd eat apples as long as I'd fling them to him. Start weperminting and it's hard to find something a dog won't eat. Otis loved peanuts. I haven't found much of anything Squirt and Bodie won't eat so long as it's not covered with pepper. They love fresh carrots!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:17 am

Have pear and pecan trees and no pears ever below 6 ft. Dogs would jump and pick any they saw at that level.

I had one GSP that loved pecans. She would crack them and eat the whole thing. I worried about the shells. It all came out in the end. :lol: I knew she was clean inside. Lived to ripe age of almost 17 yrs old.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

deke

Post by deke » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:59 pm

My black dog will eat anything he can get in his mouth, blackberries, blueberries, watermelon, brocolli, carrot, etc.....

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

I read cherries are poisoness to dogs. Anyone know how accurate that is? I ask because I might need to take out the cherry trees. Pup loves cherries, even just cherry pits the birds leave behind. I read about cyanide poisoning and a little worried.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Qwernt wrote:I read cherries are poisoness to dogs. Anyone know how accurate that is? I ask because I might need to take out the cherry trees. Pup loves cherries, even just cherry pits the birds leave behind. I read about cyanide poisoning and a little worried.
Not sure if cherries are but I know for sure onions are bad for them. Do a search on google, poisionous foods for dogs, and it will give you a list of the bad foods.

phoneman45

Post by phoneman45 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:51 pm

I had a Brittany once that watched me pick a few blackberries along a fence row when we were out in the field. I gave him one, not expecting much. After the third one he started picking them himself. He ate them everytime we ran across some after that.

eric

goldenpatch29

Post by goldenpatch29 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:my dad had a irish setter that would find and start eating persimmons and morell mushrooms. My step mom would follow her around the woods then shoo her off when she stopped to eat and see what she could find (sometimes it was just deer poop :D ).
I have one that eats the persimmons out of the front yard right now, he only eats the ripe ones as well!

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 pm

I had two beagles, one would eat blackberries and the other would not. It was very funny to watch! he would curl his lips back and pull them off the bush with his teeth. They both got lost chasing a deer for ten days and when they came back the one that ate blackberries was in the best shape. I think he was eating some out there.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:47 am

Gundogs love fruit - especially a "U-pick-it" opportunity.

Fuels them up for their work afield

MG