training without launchers

LtsHnt

training without launchers

Post by LtsHnt » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:29 pm

title sums it up pretty much..i have a young viz pup and access to a LOT of wild and released phez. i dont want to fork over the money for a launcher or a trainer unless i really need to..also, would it be smart to still start her on pigeons or quail before taking her out to find phez?..i am a new gundog owner..any help, ideas or advise would be great...maybe somone on here has been in the same situation

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Re: training without launchers

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 am

In your position and provided the pheasants aren't young chicks I'd forget all about the artificial stuff and make hay while the sun shines with the pheasants.
My only worry when using pheasants as tutors to young dogs is that they sometimes allow a very close approach by a dog before taking to wing. I think the dogs then have to relearn how close they can move into a bird or to coveys of birds that will not allow such a close approach.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:39 am

Trekmoor wrote:In your position and provided the pheasants aren't young chicks I'd forget all about the artificial stuff and make hay while the sun shines with the pheasants.
My only worry when using pheasants as tutors to young dogs is that they sometimes allow a very close approach by a dog before taking to wing. I think the dogs then have to relearn how close they can move into a bird or to coveys of birds that will not allow such a close approach.

Bill T.

I would agree with most of what Bill says. I would think that doing some stop to flush work with pigeons might also be a great idea. It is low pressure but gets across the concept that stopping and standing at the flight of a bird is a good thing. Quail might not fly all that well and might encourage chasing. Pigeons do not land on the ground, so the dogs soon recognize the futility of chasing.

I would also supplement this with yardwork to ingrain some good habits.

The only worry I have with pheasants and young dogs has to do with a young, inexperienced dog getting to close to a nasty old cockbird and getting spurred. That can have a dampening effect on the dog's desire to say the least.

If you have wild birds to work with...make the most of them.

RayG

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:13 am

I'd happy time on the wild birds and do yard work with pigeons and a check cord. They only problem with wild birds is that they don't co-operate with you. I have seen wild rooster's hold so tight you wouldn't believe it and the next will run badly on the dog. I got a young Britt in years ago that the owner told me, she quit retrieving. He'd had her out hunting at about 11 mos and she went after a cripple rooster. It beat the tar out of her and I had to force her to get her retrieving again.

But if you just happy time her, leave the gun at home, that should work well with some yard work thrown in.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!