Pup training pix

SpinoneIllinois

Pup training pix

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Some pix of my spinone pup Bella, 5 months old. She's really doing good on holding her points, to the point where I think I need to be shooting the birds for her.

Ghosted3

Re: Pup training pix

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:28 am

Great lookin pup, but I have to ask, does the hair in eyes effect her vision at all?

Corry

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:18 am

The hair doesn't seem to bother her at all. If you look at the middle picture, her eyes aren't as obscured as they seem to be in the first and third pictures.
I wondered the same thing, though. I'm not sure how I would go about cutting it, if I did try. Maybe Sal can chime in.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:55 am

Nice pics, good lookin' pup!! How many spinone breeders are in the states?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:24 am

Nice intensity on the Ice cream dog: I like it. :)
The only way to proof the dog is to move to the next step and that is introducing flushed, flying birds, then shooting birds.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 am

Man I love the look of those dogs. I'm a sucker for anything wirehair to be honest. Do you have any videos of her working? I haven't been able to find any good ones of the breed working online...the only ones I've found where with dogs that looked like they had zero prey drive.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:03 am

The best compliment I can pay an owner of an ulgy dog is Boy, that is one ulgy dog! :mrgreen: I know a guy in Portland that if you say he's got a nice looking dog, he'll almost cry. But tell him it's ugly and he get's the biggest smile you ever saw.

Only five mos huh. How could you say no to a face like that? :D I'd say when ever your ready it seems she is! Good job.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:04 am

DogNewbie wrote:Man I love the look of those dogs. I'm a sucker for anything wirehair to be honest. Do you have any videos of her working? I haven't been able to find any good ones of the breed working online...the only ones I've found where with dogs that looked like they had zero prey drive.
If you go to the east coast. Lina ( I can not remember her name fully right now) She breeds for working dogs. Has had at least one that passed the NAVHDA VC. I took photo of Rufus that weekend. Nice dog he was. Check the NAVHDA listings.

Any way you are right. But most of it is they are way more methodical than most of us. They have incredible noses, Incredible water dogs. They many time keep to tight for my taste but many like that.

Rick

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:Man I love the look of those dogs. I'm a sucker for anything wirehair to be honest. Do you have any videos of her working? I haven't been able to find any good ones of the breed working online...the only ones I've found where with dogs that looked like they had zero prey drive.
If you go to the east coast. Lina ( I can not remember her name fully right now) She breeds for working dogs. Has had at least one that passed the NAVHDA VC. I took photo of Rufus that weekend. Nice dog he was. Check the NAVHDA listings.

Any way you are right. But most of it is they are way more methodical than most of us. They have incredible noses, Incredible water dogs. They many time keep to tight for my taste but many like that.
Yeah the videos I've seen the dogs range well within shooting range and don't seem to even be running, just trotting around. Is that just the desired style for the breed?

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks for everyone's comments.
Rkappes, there aren't a ton of them around, but there are a number of breeders, including some who are working very hard on hunting ability.
Her nose has really surprised me -- very strong. I've been putting her on a lot of birds (found a great supplier of 2-buck pigeons), and she just keeps getting better and better.
She definitely doesn't seem to be lacking any prey drive. In fact, I'm working on reinforcing the "come" command because she doesn't want to quit when the training is over.
She's not as quick as my britt, but she's able to keep up with her for short bursts. As was mentioned, the spin seems to be more methodical. I'm hoping she does, in fact, hunt closer than the britt. The spins do have more of a trotting style, rather than an all-out gallop.
She's doing just fine on her tracking, and she enjoys the water. She won't hit the water like a lab, but she goes right in and gets the bumper -- every time.
So far, I'm really, really pleased. She seems to be a smart dog, and the wife and daughters think she's gorgeous.
I'll try to shoot some video soon.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:59 pm

They do kind of trot or gallop around. Rufus although slower than the pointers and GSP etc. he covered a lot of ground. He would venture out 100 yards or so pretty regular. It looked like he was slow but he actually had a big stride. He also could hunt all day long even at his size which if I remember was around 80 pounds. (Just a guess hard to tell with all that hair).
If you get up close to one and put your hands on one you will understand why. But that gallop or trot covers a good bit of ground.
But for the most part they are a 50 to 70 yard dog.
Remember too If they are brought up to let them stretch out they will. If one wants to expand that range you can some. Plant quail out in a spot some 150 yards or so and do it in the same spot many times and the dog will expect the birds to be there and will head right out. Then you move to another area do the same, then move to another area and put some close and some out further.

Not a sure fire cure but have used it on one of my own and on another spinone at a clinic.

Just like always many folks are worried the dog will not come back so they are always talkin or hackin on there dog. :roll:

Rick

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:They do kind of trot or gallop around. Rufus although slower than the pointers and GSP etc. he covered a lot of ground. He would venture out 100 yards or so pretty regular. It looked like he was slow but he actually had a big stride. He also could hunt all day long even at his size which if I remember was around 80 pounds. (Just a guess hard to tell with all that hair).
If you get up close to one and put your hands on one you will understand why. But that gallop or trot covers a good bit of ground.
But for the most part they are a 50 to 70 yard dog.
Remember too If they are brought up to let them stretch out they will. If one wants to expand that range you can some. Plant quail out in a spot some 150 yards or so and do it in the same spot many times and the dog will expect the birds to be there and will head right out. Then you move to another area do the same, then move to another area and put some close and some out further.

Not a sure fire cure but have used it on one of my own and on another spinone at a clinic.

Just like always many folks are worried the dog will not come back so they are always talkin or hackin on there dog. :roll:
Yeah I don't mind the trotting, its more the close range. I want a dog that will range out and find the birds. 100yards would be fine for me.