newbie needs advice on gun intro.

LtsHnt

newbie needs advice on gun intro.

Post by LtsHnt » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:12 pm

so the pup just tuned four mo and i figured it was about time to stat getting her used to the sound of the gun, i have been making alot of noise around her for a while now while eating and so on. i took her out to the fields we usually run and waited for her to get about 100 or so feet out and bussy using her nose and fired a shot, she looked up at me and ran over to where i was standing, she didnt look scared, tail wasnt between her legs but she didnt look completely ok either, once she got to me she just continued doing her thing, sniffing and checking things out...what you all think i should do..i am getting pigeons in about a week..should i wait until then, get her bidy and then start over...or am i over worried about this...like i said, she didnt seem scared, just startled for a second and then ran over to me, before getting back to the usual. was using a starter pistol too if that helps

DogNewbie

Re: newbie needs advice on gun intro.

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Yeah definitely wait for pigeons. Get the pup excited about the bird, let bird go and fire the shot while the pup is in full chase after a flying pigeon.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:01 pm

DogNewbie wrote:Yeah definitely wait for pigeons. Get the pup excited about the bird, let bird go and fire the shot while the pup is in full chase after a flying pigeon.
I do not like to introduce gunshots when the pup is on birds. I just let the pup chase whatever, maybe a butterfly or whatever catches their attention and then fire your shotgun in the opposite direction while the pup is 40 or 50 yards away. If the pup comes back ignore it and keep walking. Do the same a couple of more times in the nexr few days and when the pup ignores the sound it is time to start getting closer. Finally when the pup is comfortable I then start shooting birds over the pup. The reason I do it that way is I do not want the pup to associate the gushot with birds incase it has a problem with it. Gunshy can be fixed while bird shy is next to impossible.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Everybody seems to do it a bit differently on here. I use the Perfection Kennel method. You need an assistant with a starter pistol about 100 yds away. You need a handful of dead frozen birds. You have the assistant shoot, you throw the bird in front of the dog - dog (in theory) runs in and retrieves the bird. Dog learns that gun = dead bird. It's gun association, not gun desensitization. I've done it with our last 6 dogs - and with every foster dog I've had. It works well. If the dogs don't like the gun even at 100 yds, then we use flying birds like DogNewbie mentioned.

The key is that you don't move closer to the shooter until the dog is comfortably looking for a bird when the gun goes off. You work closer and then you transition to a shotgun (far off then closer as the dog starts looking for the bird when the shot goes off).

I would say based on your description of the events above that you will create a gun shy dog if you don't do something different - it's good that you're looking to change things up. Pick a method and work with the dog every day - a couple times a day is best. Our newest GSP took two days (2 sessions a day), our chessie still isn't there yet since he was gun sensitive to start with when we got him.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Dito on Rooster man. I would never use a shotgun on a pup untill he associates running after a bird with a starter pistol 100 yards away. If pup stops and looks back, put the gun away for several weeks and just let pup chase birds for a while.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:08 pm

There have been quite a few recent threads on this subject. I am in the bird association camp, but more than one way to skin a cat. I'd pick up one of the more prevalent training books / DVDs that walk you through the process. Even though your dog is 4 months, she may not be ready and you may need to wait another month or two. Worth it to be patient in the long run.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 am

she is my first gundog and i would be very upset if i created a problem with this....guess i just needed some reasuance that the experience didnt set her back at too much....what im gathering from all this is to wait until i have birds, get her birdy and have someone about 100yrds away fire a shot..if she is ok with this do it a again for a week or so and move closer as long as she seems totaly ok with it and progress form there....

will this expeience set her back much?

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:54 am

I just did gun intro with my first pup, so i know how you feel. I was lucky enough to have a friend who has trained a few dogs help me. What we did was went on a walk out in the field, and also brought his Britt that has hunted the last few years. While we were walking when my pup was interested in something he fired the shotgun. Now, the first time was about 10 yds away which scared me a bit. But my pup looked at us, then kept on with what they were doing. We continued to walk and shot another 6-7 shots and each one my pup got more comfortable.

I also took him out the week before and shot the 22 with him but did so at about 100 yds like everyone else stated. I am sure that this helped with the intro to the shotgun.