Pigeons in Nebraska

moneysshot

Pigeons in Nebraska

Post by moneysshot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:13 pm

I was just wondering if anyone has any contacts for pigeons around the Omaha area? I heard Doug Loftus in Ashland had birds, but that was a couple years ago. Hoping someone can get me in the right direction, I just need a few for a young pup. Thanks a bunch

brittfans

Re: Pigeons in Nebraska

Post by brittfans » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:08 pm

pm me with your number I have some

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Not pigeons but I saw and ad for 8wk pheasants by Branched Oak for sale. If interested I can steer you in the right direction. They were $6 ea with 5 bird minimum.

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:33 am

brittfans - thanks! PM sent

RYNO -Are those legal to train with? I may be interested, do you have any contact info?

moneysshot

Post by moneysshot » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:36 am

Found it on the NGP website....

• All game birds released for training purposes must be obtained from a captive wildlife permit holder or licensed nonresident breeder, and must be banded by the trainer or seller with official bands authorized by Game and Parks. Any person who purchases game birds from a captive wildlife permit holder or licensed nonresident breeder shall have in his or her possession a sales tag/receipt from the permit holder listing the date, species and number of birds purchased.

• Q. Do I need a Captive Wildlife Permit to purchase and hold game birds for training my dog myself under the dog training regulations?

A. No. The regulations allow the purchase and possession of birds for dog training purposes when that training is a non-competitive process solely intended to enhance the hunting skills of dogs and not an organized dog trial. You are allowed to harvest no more than two hen pheasants, five quail and unlimited partridge, mallards and pigeons released during any training session. A training session shall be sunrise to sunset of a single day. While in the field during a training session, you must possess a receipt for the birds you purchased and released. Any birds released but not recovered during the training session become classified as wild birds and may not be harvested on subsequent days. You are allowed to obtain and keep in captivity, without obtaining a Captive Wildlife Permit, birds for dog training purposes for a period not to exceed 14 days from the date of receipt of purchased birds. Training is permitted on private land with the landowner’s written permission. Release of birds on public land for the purpose of dog training is not allowed except during organized dog trials permitted by the Commission. All birds released for training purposes must be banded by a breeder from whom purchased or the trainer. If you inadvertently harvest a wild bird during training activities, that bird shall count towards the number permitted to be harvested per day and you must immediately place a band on that bird. If participating in a dog trial on a Controlled Shooting Area (CSA), the owner/operator of said CSA shall have the necessary paperwork to document source of birds. Individuals harvesting and keeping birds during such an event shall have sales tags issued by the CSA operator.

RYNO

Post by RYNO » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:55 pm

PM sent with contact info.