Failure to Honor

A2Brit

Failure to Honor

Post by A2Brit » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:26 am

My GFs 6 yr old Brit is doing great since I started working with him and a trainer 18 months ago. He has earned all 4 legs of his Senior title, but thats as far as I seem to be able to get him. He blinks honoring situations. He doesnt steal points; just continues to hunt. I've tried everything I have read about, and seen to get him to honor. If I "whoa" him into an honor, he does great...steady until the other dog has retrieved, and I release him.What do I need to do to get thru to him?? He is usually eager to please...and work with sihlouettes and other steady dogs has me convinced he knows what I want. ANY suggestions for training scenarios that migh bring him to the next level?

brad27

Re: Failure to Honor

Post by brad27 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:20 am

How did you teach him to honor and how is his stop to flush?

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:42 pm

brad27 wrote:How did you teach him to honor and how is his stop to flush?
I agree with Brad---launch birds in front of the pointing dog when your dog is moving & lookin' at the pointing dog---your dog might think his movement flushed the bird. He MIGHT then start backing--thinking it's his fault the bird flushed.

A2Brit

Post by A2Brit » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:09 pm

He is very solid on his stop-to-flush. I started training him with sihlouettes, and releasing a bird. He actually will usually honor a "fake" dog!! When I work him with a live dog, he "sees" the dog on point, hesitates..then continues hunting. I have recently set up a scenario where the dog on point has TWO birds in front of him. I have been releasing one as soon as Cash does his "hesitation". I pick him up and place him where I first observed his noticing the p[ointing dog. Then, I work the other bird WITH the pointing dog. Seem to be making slight progress, but Ive been working on his honoring since last December. I can only work with him on live dogs about every other week..could THAT be the problem?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:32 pm

deseeker wrote:
I agree with Brad---launch birds in front of the pointing dog when your dog is moving & lookin' at the pointing dog---your dog might think his movement flushed the bird. He MIGHT then start backing--thinking it's his fault the bird flushed.
And try letting him get the retrieve once in a while after the pointing dog is held steady and the bird is shot. I catch flack everytime I mention this but it can and does work in some cases.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Sounds like your boy has not yet made the association that when his bracemate is stopped and on point, that there will be bird work involved. You say he honors the dummy/silhouette and is good on his STF work all the time? He has associated the dummy and the STF with impending bird work. Switch things up on him, whoa him into the honor for now and instead of always giving the first dog the retrieve make the first dog stand thru the honoring dog's retrieve. don't do this all the time, but do it regularly enough that the dog realizes that when he comes across his bracemate standing he needs to stop and be ready......he has birdwork ahead of him.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:37 pm

Kiki's Mom wrote:Sounds like your boy has not yet made the association that when his bracemate is stopped and on point, that there will be bird work involved. You say he honors the dummy/silhouette and is good on his STF work all the time? He has associated the dummy and the STF with impending bird work. Switch things up on him, whoa him into the honor for now and instead of always giving the first dog the retrieve make the first dog stand thru the honoring dog's retrieve. don't do this all the time, but do it regularly enough that the dog realizes that when he comes across his bracemate standing he needs to stop and be ready......he has birdwork ahead of him.
I agree with this . The dog simply does not understand what is expected. If you changed the color of the backing dog he would not get it at first as well. Be consistent ,the reward of the retrieve will motivate the dog as well. There has to be something in it for the dog.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:38 pm

How did you pass the senior without a honor. CJ

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:47 pm

4dabirds wrote:
Kiki's Mom wrote:Sounds like your boy has not yet made the association that when his bracemate is stopped and on point, that there will be bird work involved. You say he honors the dummy/silhouette and is good on his STF work all the time? He has associated the dummy and the STF with impending bird work. Switch things up on him, whoa him into the honor for now and instead of always giving the first dog the retrieve make the first dog stand thru the honoring dog's retrieve. don't do this all the time, but do it regularly enough that the dog realizes that when he comes across his bracemate standing he needs to stop and be ready......he has birdwork ahead of him.
I agree with this . The dog simply does not understand what is expected. If you changed the color of the backing dog he would not get it at first as well. Be consistent ,the reward of the retrieve will motivate the dog as well. There has to be something in it for the dog.
I thought that is what I said :) . At least I am not catching any flack for it yet.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:12 pm

cjhills wrote:How did you pass the senior without a honor. CJ
Can't say how the OP's dog passed, but I've read the book a few times lately, in thinking about doing SH.

"a Senior hunting dog must honor; a handler may give a dog a verbal command to honor. In order to receive a Qualifying score, a Senior hunting dog must see or acknowledge that it's bracemate in on point before it has been cautioned to honor."

A2Brit

Post by A2Brit » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:01 pm

During his Senior testing...as he does now, he hesitates, and often looks at me when he sees his bracemate on point. That hesitation was my cue to whoa him into an honor. At the Master level, which he is ready for in all other aspects, he must Honor without command. THATS what Im having trouble with. I will try letting him retrieve an occasional bird when honoring. I obviously havent shown him what is expected of him yet, and that may be what makes things "click"! Having him take and hold an obedience training dumbell (and now many other objects) while I get his food and water ready really has developed his retrieve...he KNOWS when he does it right, there is a reward involved! As the trainer I use to teach ME says.."it's ALWAYS the Handler"!!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:29 pm

deseeker wrote:
x2

I had a GSP who would back but if you didn't get their soon enough , he would just quietly move in front of the dog on point. He was a challenge. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett