Field Time? Wild Birds?

FullExposureOutdoors

Field Time? Wild Birds?

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:00 pm

As I stated before my two German Shorthair Pointers (Toby & Rust) are 3 months old. I want to start taking them into the field and get them used to being outside of the backyard. They are coming to me now when called, sitting, and will stay for the most part. I haven't done any discipline type actions towards them only rewards when they do good. It seems to be working very well for the obedience training.

I want to take both of them out into the field tomorrow and maybe get them on some Wild Birds. I'm not confident enough to take them off the Check Cord or anything because I'm guessing they will run a long ways. How do you take them to the field for the first time normally? Should I just trust that I can get them back and let them run free?

I'm only going to take out one at a time because I definitely don't want to be chasing them both. My plan was to keep them on the 30ft Check Cord and just walk around in the field with them until some birds jumped up. Is this a good idea?

I have access to homing pigeons and thought about taking them out in a cage and let the pups check them out while they are in the cage then take them out of the cage and let them flap around as I hold them by their legs, then release the bird and let the dog chase them away.

Any suggestions will be great. I plan on taking them out tomorrow evening so I'm looking forward to hearing opinions.

Bberry20

Re: Field Time? Wild Birds?

Post by Bberry20 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:24 am

I took my pup out to the field for the first time at 3 months, i did not put him on a check cord and just let him roam and figure things out. You may find out that they wont go to far, as all of the smells and sights are new to them. My pup would only go 10-15 yards away, then look and come back to me for the first couple times in the field. I would let them roam free and build confidence and dont say anything. let them enjoy the fun time.

Now my pup (6 months) loves to go out and run, still checking in on me but will rage 200+ yards. If you want a close working dog, you may want to keep them on a check cord, but i would let them range out. JMO, good luck with the pups.

Brandon

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:46 am

I don't think that a three month old puppy will run completely off. I would probably let the pup run free maybe dragging a shorter cord. I would put 3 to 5 pigeons in a sack and as you walk through the field I would just periodically toss a pigeon, make sure the pup is looking at you when you do this. This may or may not go well the first outing, but if you do this a couple of times a week for a month or two, those pups will be paying constant attention to you.

I think there is a common mistake that a lot of people make at this stage. They run a young puppy and the pup runs a hundred yards or so in the wrong direction and the person goes to get the pup and bring it back. The message that is being sent to the pup is "I can go wherever I want whenever I want and my daddy will come and find me". I think it is often more beneficial to turn and walk the oppisite way when the pup gets out of pocket, which hopefully sends the message, " I have to watch daddy constantly and go with him constantly or that crazy sob will leave me!".

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 am

Take them one at a time, turn them loose, keep your mouth shut, and just walk very slowly while they explore. Chances are 99.9% that they wont get over a few feet from you on the first time out. Each time you go they will range a little further as they build their confidence. Continue being quiet while you walk and when they get too far away hide from them. It is fun to watch when they realize you aren't there where they think you should be but it will allow you to finally realize how they are depending on you which should ease your concern about them running away.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 am

Just let them go and be quiet. Get them on wild birds as soon as possible. They aren't going to run off at 3 mos old.

FullExposureOutdoors

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Sounds great, thanks everyone. I'm heading out in about 10 minutes. I'm going to take them both with me but only let one out at a time, is that ok? I'll do it this time but if thats bad let me know so I can correct it for the next time out.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:13 pm

FullExposureOutdoors wrote:Sounds great, thanks everyone. I'm heading out in about 10 minutes. I'm going to take them both with me but only let one out at a time, is that ok? I'll do it this time but if thats bad let me know so I can correct it for the next time out.
i would only do 1 so they don't play and then think the field is for playing.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:26 pm

Change directions frequently.
They will learn to keep an eye on you and will eventually learn to change directions when you want them to without calling to them or speaking. That makes for a more stealthy hunt.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:30 pm

You and your puppies will be fine. Just follow the advise that has been given, relax and enjoy.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

FullExposureOutdoors

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:03 pm

Took both dogs with me but only let one dog out at a time. We walked about 20 minutes for each dog. Did a lot of direction changing, it was funny, Toby did get out there about 100 yards and I hid from him. He stopped and sat down and started whining. Then he started searching nervously for me. When he found me he was happy and licking me like he was almost apologizing for getting too far away, lol.

We didn't see any birds at all, "Guess thats Hunting" - going to take them to a different place tomorrow. This place had cattle on it and I didn't realize it until I was done with Toby and halfway done with Rusty. They were on the other side of the pasture. So I'm guessing that's why there wasn't a single bird that we found.

I did make one stupid mistake. For some reason I though, "oh we aren't going hunting I can just wear shorts." That was a stupid thought!

Kept my mouth shut the whole time and they didn't get more than 3 feet away from me "other than Toby that once"! They started realizing very quickly if they stayed behind me that close they would eventually not have a jaw, I bet each of them got heeled in the jaw 20 times each for walking right behind me and in my step, lol!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:26 pm

We didn't see any birds at all, "Guess thats Hunting" - going to take them to a different place tomorrow. This place had cattle on it and I didn't realize it until I was done with Toby and halfway done with Rusty. They were on the other side of the pasture. So I'm guessing that's why there wasn't a single bird that we found.
Just a side note, the cattle shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not there are birds there. But it is good that you are getting them out and exposing them to the different elements.

Charlie

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:37 pm

I personally wouldn't be hiding. They barely know what they're doing now - keep them confident and you in sight if they want to see you. Later when they're older you don't want them worrying about that.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:17 pm

birddogger wrote:Just a side note, the cattle shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not there are birds there. But it is good that you are getting them out and exposing them to the different elements.
I would have to beg the differ, herew if there are cattle in the field you might as well go to a differfent one. They seem to push the birds out. But, that is just my experience.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:57 am

Bberry20 wrote:
birddogger wrote:Just a side note, the cattle shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not there are birds there. But it is good that you are getting them out and exposing them to the different elements.
I would have to beg the differ, herew if there are cattle in the field you might as well go to a differfent one. They seem to push the birds out. But, that is just my experience.
And I respect that, but most of the places I hunted when there were plenty of birds had cattle in the fields. Now my experience with cattle in the field was only when I was hunting bob white quail, so it may be different with some other birds.

Charlie

FullExposureOutdoors

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:15 am

Took them both out again Yesterday after I was done dove hunting. I shot a few chi chi birds, (what we called them growing up) and there were a few wounded ones that I hid out in the field. They found them and pounced on them and chased the other birds that were just landed out in the field for a while. It was a lot of fun. I think next time I go out I'm going to buy some Quail from a guy that sells them nearby.