Training with no electronics

Retiredbirddogman

Training with no electronics

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:02 pm

Curious how many, if any, on this forum can claim training their bird dog without the use of any electronics. If so, what have you found that works well?
Hopefully this will create good discussion.

Doc E

Re: Training with no electronics

Post by Doc E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 pm

Back in the day, I trained "Amish" --------- not any more.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:16 pm

Didn't have these electronics when I started. Check cord and pigeons with their head tucked. Works but is a lot of work and takes a lot longer.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:54 pm

For many years but I have learned as tools became available they made it easier, better, and faster. I even got rid of the horse and buggy and bought a car. Don't plan on ever going back as I think too much of my dogs as well as my time.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 pm

ezzy333 wrote:For many years but I have learned as tools became available they made it easier, better, and faster. I even got rid of the horse and buggy and bought a car. Don't plan on ever going back as I think too much of my dogs as well as my time.

Ezzy
About as well as it can be said! :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 pm

Of course, if you can't train without a collar, you also can't train with one.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:13 pm

To clarify. I too train with collars, traps, etc. I had just found that I always had the collar on and didn't even think of training without it. I was surprised how much "yard work" I was able to get done, and how the dogs responded differently to me, when I didn't use the collars. Not pro or con, just good discussion topic I think. It had become automatic for me to always train with the collars on.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:45 am

I don't have any experience at all of training the pointing breeds using electronics. I always train without them but I accept that I may be missing out on an easier and faster way to train. I train using wild game, I have access to pigeons and I have access to two remote pigeon launchers but , so far, I haven't used them either. Only my advancing years and lesser walking ....and running abilities :roll: , make me think I should be using e-collars and remote pigeon launchers now.
I seemed to bring dogs up to a decent standard of work without needing electrics in the past, most other trainers in Britain are the same as me, they do not use electrics , or not as everyday training accessories anyway.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:46 am

I know of 1 dog that got an FC with no e-collar ever - vizsla. Not using one (correctly) is a big disadvantage imo.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:24 am

I have used collars on two dogs.

I have two MH and a VC and a few nice placements in NSTRA and AKC GD, trained with no collars. I did use launchers as I train mostly alone.
I have one now on the collar and one no collar. Hope by spring the no collar will be ready for MH and some trials. But in all fairness, she is now five, had not done much with her regarding finishing her just hunted.
The ecollar dog Ruby is 2 years, and is one that will and is benfiting from the collar. Wish my launchers worked she would be much further along.

With no collar, The biggest thing is paitence and knowing your correct level of correction. Also like any training it is baby steps and having a particular goal for a day and as with all training end on a positive note.
Don't let the dog loose until you know for a fact that you can correct the dog and it understands why, ( as the dog will be further away during the loose field training and there will be more time away from the direct correction.) That certainly is the advantage of an ecollar.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:For many years but I have learned as tools became available they made it easier, better, and faster. I even got rid of the horse and buggy and bought a car. Don't plan on ever going back as I think too much of my dogs as well as my time.

Ezzy
Yup. It is the fastest, most precise, most humane training tool and safety device EVER invented. Why in the world wouldn't everyone totally embrace it?
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:44 am

gonehuntin' wrote:

Ezzy
Yup. It is the fastest, most precise, most humane training tool and safety device EVER invented. Why in the world wouldn't everyone totally embrace it?
I think ignorance is the biggest reason. Besides being the fastest and most precise, a whole lot of people don't understand that it is, as you say, the most humane. They are going by hearsay or have seen it abused and that is all they know.

Charlie

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:12 pm

I want to add an edit to my post.

The ecollars I had prior were Inoteck and unfortunately were inconsistant in there working. So I gave up and went back to doing without a collar. Dollars were the bottom line. Same with the 7 launchers I have now, Innotek and do not work.

I have no problem with a collar and fully understand how to use the collar and embrace using the collar. Answering the first OP.

I now have a sport dog 1820 or some such thing.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:40 pm

i dont use any e-collars. but most say they are best thing to come along.
i just do things the way i have and see no reason to do it any other way unlees i felt it was much better.
most likely is better.

i do like the beeper collars that beep on point or locate your dog.
that i am going to use with my bell.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 pm

We used to use a pencil in school but now we use the computer. You can still use a pencil if you want.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:51 pm

JIM K wrote:i dont use any e-collars. but most say they are best thing to come along.
i just do things the way i have and see no reason to do it any other way unlees i felt it was much better.
most likely is better.

i do like the beeper collars that beep on point or locate your dog.
that i am going to use with my bell.
And I do respect that choice. My only problem is with the people who have something against it, who by the way, don't have a clue.

Charlie