Having 2 issues that I need help with.

Ghosted3

Having 2 issues that I need help with.

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:26 am

I am having 2 issues with my ESS pup (almost 11wks old). First, he is having issues with his potty training, example being I will take him out before he eats, 15 min after he eats, and then about every hour to 90 min after. It seems like 10-15 min he will pee in the house after he comes back in.
Second, I know he is teething and everything, but he nips constantly to the point that my daughter is almost afraid of him. I have tons of chew toys for him, and I have tried Dokken's method (I name drop him because I found it in his book first lol) about rolling the jowls and pressing against the teeth and had no luck with that, tried the 2 fingers in the mouth with the thumb under the jaw until he no longer struggles, no luck. I am out of ideas, and I dont want my kids to be afraid of him. Thanks in advance for the help it is much appreciated.

Corry

sdnordahl

Re: Having 2 issues that I need help with.

Post by sdnordahl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:06 am

Keep at the potty training. He will get the idea. My lab was 15/16 weeks b4 the light came on. They always need to GO after eating and watch for the signs that he's looking for a spot. I spent 3 weeks rushing my pup outside every time she started sniffing around even if she was just out.

As far as the nipping goes he's a pup and they do that. That's how they play as litter mates and ATM that's all he knows. I use the "mud flap" over the teeth or fingers down the mouth to get a slight gag reflex. depends on what part of my fingers went in. I tell him NO wile I do this and if pup keeps doing it over and over get up and stop playing or giving attention.

This works but will take a wile!!!!! It by no means happens in 1 week or 2. Remember you have to reteach pup how to play!!! Encourage good playing and when he gets over the top and wont stop nipping leave him be or put him outside. Make sure your kids do the same. I just went through this stage and had to tell the kids several times to get off the floor and leave pup alone if she wont stop nipping. Good luck
Please check out my web page and let me know what you think of my new pup. http://nordahlslabs.webs.com/

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:51 am

We had a lot of trouble with nipping too. Like you, nothing was working. What eventually worked for us was a combination of time and taking her to play with other dogs. I guess the dogs teach that nipping is bad better than I can! Also, she got older and better able to learn right and wrong.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:17 am

dreamerofdreams wrote:We had a lot of trouble with nipping too. Like you, nothing was working. What eventually worked for us was a combination of time and taking her to play with other dogs. I guess the dogs teach that nipping is bad better than I can! Also, she got older and better able to learn right and wrong.
+1 the older dogs will sort the nipping out, the other way is to when the nipping gets out of hand to hold pup down untill he relaxes and lies still. This way he will learn bad behaviour will lead to dominant pack members taking control and will NOT allow this behaviour.

Good luck and keep having fun.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:33 am

Try a high pitched yelp when he nips thats what puppies do to let litter mates know they went to hard. Sometimes it works!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:18 pm

My stuff is always consistent, but I dont know how consistent the wife and kids are while I am at work. I know my daughter and son are hyper so they probably dont help out with trying to control with the nipping. I am kind of upset about the potty training, because none of the dogs of I have owned have taken this long to potty train, or if they were not fully trained there were really close. Thanks again for all of the feedback its much appreciated!

Corry

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 am

I used the high-pitched yelp on the new dog. Wife and daughters thought I was nuts, but it seemed to work. Make it a serious yelp, like the pup really hurt you.
It seemed to work faster than the lip-bite, which I used on the brittany when she was a pup.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:I am having 2 issues with my ESS pup (almost 11wks old). First, he is having issues with his potty training, example being I will take him out before he eats, 15 min after he eats, and then about every hour to 90 min after. It seems like 10-15 min he will pee in the house after he comes back in.
Second, I know he is teething and everything, but he nips constantly to the point that my daughter is almost afraid of him. I have tons of chew toys for him, and I have tried Dokken's method (I name drop him because I found it in his book first lol) about rolling the jowls and pressing against the teeth and had no luck with that, tried the 2 fingers in the mouth with the thumb under the jaw until he no longer struggles, no luck. I am out of ideas, and I dont want my kids to be afraid of him. Thanks in advance for the help it is much appreciated.

Corry

whiskers my SM is going thru same thing.
he is 19 weeks old now.
only thing that helped on biting was saying WORD NO BITE,GETTING HIM INTO KENNEL WITH OTHER DOGS AND LAYING HIM ON HIS SIDE.
if he knows he can bite someone, he will.
so you have to tell people to say NO BITE to him.
if not ,they will continue to bite .

like said, DONT LET ANYONE LAY ON FLOOR WITH PUP.this will cause pup to start biting.i like you, hope it ends soon cause its not funny at all.

on potty thing, this is first pup i have had that goes outside then comes in house and goes again.
i dont have answer other than it seems to be getting better on him letting me know but if he is out of sight, HE PEES.
i hope it stops but if not, HE WILL BE IN CRATE UNTIL HE IS 16 YEARS OLD.hoping as he gets older over 6 months, he stops.

like said, i have had 13 dogs in my life and this is hardest pup i have had on puppy biting and peeing in house.
this is hardest i have worked at to stop both even to point of taking pup out every 15 minutes up until midnight to get him to pee outside.
why he continues to pee inside is beyond me other than maybe his bladder is not holding ,dont know but hoping it stops .

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:07 pm

Jim K - I can understand your frustration with the peeing part. I take the water away around 8pm or so and continue to take him out every 45 min to 1hr...around 1am I can take him out and he will come in and have an accident 15 min later, where the fluids came from I dunno but it is driving me bonkers!

Corry

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 am

This probably seems a stupid question but do you praise the pup when it does mess outside the house ? I think telling a pup what is "good" is just as important as telling it what is "bad."

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:My stuff is always consistent, but I dont know how consistent the wife and kids are while I am at work. I know my daughter and son are hyper so they probably dont help out with trying to control with the nipping. I am kind of upset about the potty training, because none of the dogs of I have owned have taken this long to potty train, or if they were not fully trained there were really close. Thanks again for all of the feedback its much appreciated!

Corry
from what i am seeing if you keep at it,it should get better.today i noticed whiskers is letting me know he has to go.he stares at me. 8)
SO ITS GETTING BETTER.
ON BITING, ITS BETTER TOO BUT HE STILL GOES AFTER PEOPLES HANDS AFTER HE LICKS THEM OVER. :x
he does know word NO.
so i think some dogs take longtime to get it.

today i got another problem, WHISKERS IS HUMPING THE PILLOWS ON COUCH.
great :roll:
dogs with high prey drive, just my opinion seem to take longer to correct.
mellow dog is quick.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 am

Trekmoor wrote:This probably seems a stupid question but do you praise the pup when it does mess outside the house ? I think telling a pup what is "good" is just as important as telling it what is "bad."

Bill T.
Always praise, starting to wonder if I should give him a piece of dog food for going potty lol. When he is in the position i usually say "potty" twice then good boy as soon as he is done.

As for the biting it seems to be getting a little better, but I was looking at his teeth today and he has a pretty decent amount

Corry

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:
Trekmoor wrote:This probably seems a stupid question but do you praise the pup when it does mess outside the house ? I think telling a pup what is "good" is just as important as telling it what is "bad."

Bill T.
Always praise, starting to wonder if I should give him a piece of dog food for going potty lol. When he is in the position i usually say "potty" twice then good boy as soon as he is done.

As for the biting it seems to be getting a little better, but I was looking at his teeth today and he has a pretty decent amount

Corry
give him a marrow bone AND HE WILL BREAK HIS FANG TEETH TIPS OFF AND WILL BITE LESS

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:56 pm

I don't allow nipping, ever!! Slap him on the nose smartly and command NO!! If he does it again, you bite HIS nose! That works on nearly any dog. Same thing Ma would do.

You're fighting a losing battle if you don't keep him in a kennel whenever you're not WATCHING him. If he's out of the kennel, watch him. When he starts to sniff or squat, yell NO! Outside! and toss him out.

Pups are a heck of a lot of work. Good thing they're cute too!!
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:06 pm

The Yip thing did work for us for a while, now at 6 months that and jumping have come back some (I had expected that for a "teenager" dog) we are re-establishing the rules again. Another one we did was to stop playing with the pup when he got nippy, when mine gets over excited it comes back. But that Dog Wisperer No touch no talk no eye contact works pretty good too. Getting young kids to stop pulling thier hands away and waving them about like food goes along way too, but lots of kids have a hard time beliving that one.

We kep our pup in the kennel , then took him out to pee then he got some superfised time out of the box I was told an hour(awake longer for sleeping) for every month of age between pee's. Another big one is to clean up with a urine remover. I guess over the years there were enough with the previous owner of our house and in-law dags there were enough poorly cleaned up messes in the basement that my pup could not be down there 5 min without going so he was banned from the basement.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Those shark teeth hurt! MY GSP pup is 7 months old and all her teeth are now fully in, so we just went thru that. I have two young kids, 6 and 7, and my dogs are house dogs.

Keep the pup on a leash at all times so it can be corrected immediately. You need to crate the pup or keep it in control while around your child because it will learn to dominate and chase them quick. You didn't mention how old, so I'm not suggesting feeding and walking or a well placed kick. Young kids shouldn't be given those tools.

I'm also a fan of a squirt gun with lemon juice or vinegar and water in it to stop them from biting or chewing on stuff they shouldn't be. You squirt them from across the room, and then they don't always associate the correction with you rising or coming towards them.

I tried yipping and squealing, and that didn't work for me. I resorted to staring the dog down while screaming no; it worked. As soon as she stopped, I was back to being her calm sweet owner who would pet her and love her.

Really, though, you have a few more months of super chewing and nipping and then the shark teeth will fall out to be replaced with the adult ones. The biggest thing you need to do is break the habit of biting/mouthing before those big teeth come in. Good luck! You're half way thru the shark teeth phase.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:50 pm

I don't allow nipping, ever!! Slap him on the nose smartly and command NO!! If he does it again, you bite HIS nose! That works on nearly any dog. Same thing Ma would do.
A big +1 on this! And I don't squeal or say "ouch". I use a different method than biting his nose [although I am sure it works] after I have slapped him on the nose but the bottom line is, I nip it [no pun intended] immediately.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:51 pm

taking newspaper and hitting the area near him when they try to nip works too.if your family members dont work with you on biting,YOU HAVE TO JUMP IN.
when whiskers goes after my lab toby i squirt him with water.
it works.
he does not know where it comes from.i think he thinks toby peed on him :lol:

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:22 pm

JIM K wrote:taking newspaper and hitting the area near him when they try to nip works too.if your family members dont work with you on biting,YOU HAVE TO JUMP IN.
I would love to jump in, but I have the nipping "fix" under control when I am here, but I leave for work at 1:45pm and get home at 11:30pm, so a lot of the time that the pup is out it is the wife is in charge and she doesnt like to do things the way I do, but she is starting to understand that we have to do the thing the same way all the time.

Corry

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:
JIM K wrote:taking newspaper and hitting the area near him when they try to nip works too.if your family members dont work with you on biting,YOU HAVE TO JUMP IN.
I would love to jump in, but I have the nipping "fix" under control when I am here, but I leave for work at 1:45pm and get home at 11:30pm, so a lot of the time that the pup is out it is the wife is in charge and she doesnt like to do things the way I do, but she is starting to understand that we have to do the thing the same way all the time.

Corry

YOU ARE RIGHT.as puppy gets older,it will get better. at times it seems it never will.
but its big help if everyone chips in to help and correct.
if not, it will take longer.
my sister is same way. she does not believe in raising her voice with dog or any kind of correction.she hug and kisses and babys her dogs and MINE.
WELL, GUESS WHAT. WHISKERS THINKS SHE IS PLAY TOY AND NIPS AT HER.
TONIGHT SHE RAN FROM HIM,TURNED AND GRABBED A NEWSPAPER AND HIT CHAIR IN FRONT OF WHISKERS TO STOP .

GUESS WHAT ,whiskers stopped.

now he does not bother her.too much baby thing with any dog in my opinion ruins them.
i seen it for longtime, usually these type of people have worst adult dogs .they bark, pee on floor,bite or shy,tear house apart.

i am no expert and i was having tough time with whiskers too but i did not let up and got many tips from most on here that did work.

best one was GETTING PUPPY AROUND ADULT DOGS IN KENNEL HIS/HER SIZE ONLY AT FIRST.THEN ON TOO ADULT DOGS BIGGER.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:03 pm

JIM K wrote:why he continues to pee inside is beyond me other than maybe his bladder is not holding

Could be either diabetes or a urinary tract infection? That much (every 15 min) urination for that long (up to midnight) seems abnormal. JMO.

edited as I asked the sex of the pup

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:26 pm

bonasa wrote:
JIM K wrote:why he continues to pee inside is beyond me other than maybe his bladder is not holding

Could be either diabetes or a urinary tract infection? That much (every 15 min) urination for that long (up to midnight) seems abnormal. JMO.

edited as I asked the sex of the pup
thanks.i had him at vets today will know if its UTI next week.
he is 20 weeks old and has been doing it from 8 weeks and it has not got better.
he does look at me if i am in same room to go. never does a no.2 only no.1.
i had him at vets at 16 weeks for last shots and never thought to tell him .

only learned that its not normal on here .

it has been awful for me, i am wore out. :roll: