Should I Shoot?

dickey

Should I Shoot?

Post by dickey » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:03 pm

My ES Zeke is now seven months old, we have been in the woods all summer he has tons of hunt, good range, and has found what I think to be alot of grouse and woodcock this summer. He will flash point, but will not hold point. My question is if i hunt him this fall should I shoot birds that he flushes or not?

brad27

Re: Should I Shoot?

Post by brad27 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:05 pm

Only shoot the birds he handles correctly.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:05 pm

brad27 wrote:Only shoot the birds he handles correctly.
+1 - if he ain't pointing and holding through shot and releasing him to get the bird I wouldn't shoot - rewarding him for bad manners.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 pm

bb560m wrote:
brad27 wrote:Only shoot the birds he handles correctly.
+1 - if he ain't pointing and holding through shot and releasing him to get the bird I wouldn't shoot - rewarding him for bad manners.
That's a lot to ask of a 7 month old.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:20 pm

brad27 wrote:That's a lot to ask of a 7 month old.
That's why he shouldn't shoot yet.

sdnordahl

Post by sdnordahl » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:43 pm

bb560m wrote:
brad27 wrote:That's a lot to ask of a 7 month old.
That's why he shouldn't shoot yet.

Agreed!! Sacrifice some hunting this year and focus on training so you will have 10 plus yrs of joy hunting with your pup that all your buddies will be jealous of.
Please check out my web page and let me know what you think of my new pup. http://nordahlslabs.webs.com/

dickey

Post by dickey » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Thanks for the help.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:18 am

This will not work for everyone, but, it's my method. The rule is - don't shoot over a dog until it is pointing the pigeon in a pop-box, and you can walk up and put a food on it. To build a dog to this point, use the natural pointing ability of the dog coupled with perfect timing of release of the bird. If the dog locks into a point, do not allow him to creep up on the box. If he moves at all, pop the bird. When he is becoming steady at length, start walking in. Watch for any movement in the dog, and if any is sceen, pop the bird. Once you can walk up to that trap, put your foot on it, and pop that bird - you can start shooting birds for him.

If you want to try this, you need a good pop box. These sessions should be done 2 or 3 per week / 3 birds each. Get or breed some very good Homing Pigeons and you won't have to keep going to auction to buy them. Hope that helps.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:54 pm

QuailHollow wrote:This will not work for everyone, but, it's my method. The rule is - don't shoot over a dog until it is pointing the pigeon in a pop-box, and you can walk up and put a food on it. To build a dog to this point, use the natural pointing ability of the dog coupled with perfect timing of release of the bird. If the dog locks into a point, do not allow him to creep up on the box. If he moves at all, pop the bird. When he is becoming steady at length, start walking in. Watch for any movement in the dog, and if any is sceen, pop the bird. Once you can walk up to that trap, put your foot on it, and pop that bird - you can start shooting birds for him.

If you want to try this, you need a good pop box. These sessions should be done 2 or 3 per week / 3 birds each. Get or breed some very good Homing Pigeons and you won't have to keep going to auction to buy them. Hope that helps.

+ 1 not that i know anything but this is the point i'm trying to get my puppy before i start shooting birds,i can't imagine a young dog steady to wing and shot before every shooting any birds for them, don't the dog need a few birds shot for them to get the hole picture and a reward? what do i know i just a puppy in training also

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:52 am

The dog's reward is his steadiness. The thrill is in the stalk.. or 'point'. The excitement is in the flush and chase. What enjoyment would the dog get from a gun shot? Don't put human equivalents to canine emotions. The shot is the hunter's reward - one that he has to earn.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:54 am

ibbowhunting wrote:i can't imagine a young dog steady to wing and shot before every shooting any birds for them, don't the dog need a few birds shot for them to get the hole picture and a reward? what do i know i just a puppy in training also
a well bred dog will point and love finding game - no need to shoot to keep them excited. shoot only when everything is done correctly.