Jumping Overboard

Portach Madra

Jumping Overboard

Post by Portach Madra » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:08 am

There is a lot of water in the back country here as a result i spend a fair amount of time in a small open boat or in a small sail boat getting around the coast or getting into good locations. My 9 month old DD has the basics and he loves the boat(s). The problem is that he loves jumping overboard more. I can't keep my eyes off of him and he is swimming. I am green and need some advice. Any takers?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Jumping Overboard

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:19 pm

I'd teach him to sit-stay, or have a "place" in the boat that he can't move off of. After reading the horrifying post a few days ago about the guy who lost his dog because it jumped overboard and was killed by the propeller, it got me to thinking that I need to refresh the basics with our chessies before season starts here again.

It'll be repetitive and take some time, but you should be able to teach him his "place" so he won't move on the boat. It's just really a solid "sit" command.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 pm

I'd fix an eye bolt somewhere with a chain that won't let him reach the side's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:17 pm

DonF wrote:I'd fix an eye bolt somewhere with a chain that won't let him reach the side's.
That is a bingo.

When you are running a boat, or driving a car or whatever, it is probably a good ide to be concentrating on operating the craft rather than checking on where the dog is.

They are animals and... they do stuff. All the training in the world cannot equal a sturdy tieout or a crate for keeping one's mind at ease.

RayG

Portach Madra

Post by Portach Madra » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Sounds like a bit of both would be in order. Would I be right in sayin that having a place on the boat would keep him calmer and tethering him will keep he and I from any accidents?

Portach Madra

Post by Portach Madra » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 am

Been working with him. Took a few good morning sessions but he is starting to get it. I'll keep it up.

Thanks all.

Graves14

Post by Graves14 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:14 pm

i dont like tethering or kenneling a dog on a boat simply because if there was ever an open water boating accident they are definitely going to drown. I think i'd have a better chance at swimming to shore with a dog to help me along not to mention how awful I'd feel if he drowned because i'd tied him to the boat.

Just something else to consider

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:45 am

I take my EP out with me in a canoe... ya gotta work that "whoa" thing hard in the boat specifically... I used the check cord and ran it under a cross bar and back to me so I could hold her in the boat until I released her... My wife still thinks I'm nuts for putting a pointer in the canoe in the first place... :lol: I'd work on a specific comand to "release" the dog from the boat while you're close to shore and keep him in check... He'll get it... Good luck! 8)
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:43 am

Graves14 wrote:i dont like tethering or kenneling a dog on a boat simply because if there was ever an open water boating accident they are definitely going to drown. I think i'd have a better chance at swimming to shore with a dog to help me along not to mention how awful I'd feel if he drowned because i'd tied him to the boat.

Just something else to consider
Suit yourself, but from a probability perspective, I would guess that an accident from a dog jumping overboard happens much, much more frequently than a tethered dog drowning after a collision.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=37337

Boat props and gun dogs don't get along too well, unfortunately.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 am

DonF wrote:I'd fix an eye bolt somewhere with a chain that won't let him reach the side's.

go to head of class BUT my lab BARKS and fisherman and me hate it.
so i dont take him anymore fishing in boat.

K9luke

Post by K9luke » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 am

I use a canoe for duck hunting more than anything. I set it out in the yard, tell the dog to mount up and immediately tell them to sit then stay ! Their place is in the center of the canoe right in front of me. I ignore them and make them STAY. If they move then make a correction. Starting with lots of praise at first and extending the time they spend there each time . If they are obedient then it wont take long for them to get it in their heads that when I am in the boat I HAVE to sit and stay ! The only time I have to make corrections on the water is when there is water in the canoe and it is cold out. Then they tend to get antsy at times.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:29 pm

JIM K wrote:

Jim, my son and I hiked into a remote lake in the Az mountains last summer. We had the lake to ourselves...we thought! We were using float tubes - the only thing we could transport that far. Around the corner came another fisherman in a float tube, towing a float tube with his lab in it!! The dog was a happy camper. That fisherman knew what he was doing too -- had a 27" and a 25" German Brown already landed and several smaller ones - he said he (and his dog) go there all the time.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:27 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
JIM K wrote:

Jim, my son and I hiked into a remote lake in the Az mountains last summer. We had the lake to ourselves...we thought! We were using float tubes - the only thing we could transport that far. Around the corner came another fisherman in a float tube, towing a float tube with his lab in it!! The dog was a happy camper. That fisherman knew what he was doing too -- had a 27" and a 25" German Brown already landed and several smaller ones - he said he (and his dog) go there all the time.

isnt that something. :wink:

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:35 am

AzDoggin wrote:
JIM K wrote:

Now that is awesome. I've been a little bummed that since I've had a dog my float tube has remained in the basement. Maybe the pup needs one too!