bird training

cjj

bird training

Post by cjj » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:07 pm

I have been training my britt with corturnix quail in launchers, after he holds point i would launch the bird . shoot a blank , and then release him to retrive the bird . He has done very well with it . so now i am using bobwhite quail, they fly a lot farther, and he will hold point and watch them fly away when i release him he want to follow the bird , Should I let him track down the bird? he is trained to retrive but i do not want him chaseing around live birds Were do I go from here ? thanks

pointshootretrieve

Re: bird training

Post by pointshootretrieve » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:20 pm

No what you are describing is delayed chase. You should collar, lead, the dog away and get his mind off of that missed bird and work off in another direction. When you get solid obedience you can give the dog a LEAVE IT and HEEL command and walk off and hunt in another direction.

And did I read you shoot a blank and send the dog to retrieve a live bird that has not been shot?? I would stop that, get a gun and shoot them if you want a retrieve and I would only allow a retrieve every so often.

cjj

Post by cjj » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:49 pm

I will start to leading him away from the flushed bird and get him working another direction, will give it a try tomorrow. No more live birds retrive , Thanks for the help.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:06 pm

cjj wrote:I have been training my britt with corturnix quail in launchers, after he holds point i would launch the bird . shoot a blank , and then release him to retrive the bird . He has done very well with it . so now i am using bobwhite quail, they fly a lot farther, and he will hold point and watch them fly away when i release him he want to follow the bird , Should I let him track down the bird? he is trained to retrive but i do not want him chaseing around live birds Were do I go from here ? thanks
You should not be surprised with your results buy the way you used the corturnix quail. It was just a natural extension with the bobwhite quail. In my opinion you should be focused on one thing at this stage. "steady to wing and shot". The retrive should be introudced in a sperate training session. I am sure someone will go into more detail on what should be done.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:58 am

Have you "de-chased" ?

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker