Advice on rescued dog.

jims2cool

Advice on rescued dog.

Post by jims2cool » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I rescues a 7 yr old GSP form a lady that has owned her since pup and her now ex-husband had her fully trained to hunt pheasant first on a collar and then on vocal commands. Now she has not hunted for over a year and this is the reason for her finding a new home for her. I have had her only a few days btu I will say she is a very sweet and obidient dog. she listnes well and is pretty well behaved. I have put a training collar on her as she was roaming at first , on the first day , that was expected but with only a tone she shows she was trained on one as she reponds immediatley to the tone only and have not had any reason to even nick her. Also out in the feild she zig zags about 15 yards in front of me the whole time and seems to have a great nose, she retrieves only feahtered dunny/toys. My question is where do I start to see how and what I can do to help her hunt without me knowing her previous commands? The basics she knows but I am not sure and am worried I might ruin anything that is trained in her. Any and all suggestions would be great as I just want this girl to feel useful and like I siad to the wife "one dead bird and she paid for her lifetime of food ten times over". she is really a great dog and want to do all to give her the best last years she has . Thank you to all
Jim

Brittguy

Re: Advice on rescued dog.

Post by Brittguy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm

Don't worry too much. Whatever commands you learn to use around the house and yard will transfer to the field. My personal thoughts are that a lot of people want to over handle and give too many commands in the field. Just let her hunt and if you need to get her attention use whatever you do at home.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Brittguy wrote:Don't worry too much. Whatever commands you learn to use around the house and yard will transfer to the field. My personal thoughts are that a lot of people want to over handle and give too many commands in the field. Just let her hunt and if you need to get her attention use whatever you do at home.
Right on!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jims2cool

Post by jims2cool » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Ok great sounds like a plan. She is a great dog I just need to learn her ;)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:49 pm

She sounds over trained to me. Fifteen yards is well within gun range. If she starts going more, and she just might, give her her head. Sounds like a nice dog!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!