help with puppy

zmac399

help with puppy

Post by zmac399 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:53 pm

I have a 10 week old gap that will not stop peeing and pooping in his crate.
He will even just lay in his poop I've had several dogs 3 being gsp. I limit his water so he won't pee so much in his crate but it doesn't matter I take him out to potty and not 5 mins later in his crate he will pee r poop please help

AzDoggin

Re: help with puppy

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 pm

I wouldn't, in general, limit water. If the pup is a female, might need to have her checked out for UTI.

At 10 weeks, it is very predictable when the pup will need to eliminate. Bottom line is that he needs to be outside during those times. Get him started with a collar and leash, and walk him around until he eliminates, as long as it takes. Might help to return to the same areas each time so he can get the scent and the habit started. Motion stimulates elimination. Keep a log if you need to so you can keep better track of elimination times. Set a timer...

I'd also thoroughly clean out his crate to ensure that there are no lingering smells of his eliminating in it. Also, the crate should be only large enough for him to stand, turn around, and lay down in the same small area. If you have a larger crate, use a partition.

This was on the 'net:
Puppies need to urinate shortly after the eat, drink water, play, chew, or sleep. For most puppies over 10 weeks of age, that means somewhere between 5 and 10 times a day!
'

Unfortunately, that's 24 hours a day.

Also unfortunately, every time he's allowed to eliminate in the crate pushes back his training that amount.

Have fun. Don't know if you've had a human child, but this isn't much different. It does go quicker, tho, and pups are much cheaper than kids. :D

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:00 pm

What size is the crate ?
Pups usually won't pee or poop where they lay down.
Make the crate smaller with a piece of plywood.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:35 pm

I'd make sure it get's out more often, try to get it out so it won't go in the crate. Confining them to a small area works well for house training, maybe this pup is just a bit to young. Bad thing is if it keep's it up you could end up with a dirty dog, one that does mess it's own nest. The only time I'd close it in a confined area is at night. But make sure you get it out and it evacuates before going to bed.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

zmac399

Post by zmac399 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Its a male and he has a small crate and he's out a lot

LarryLowell

help with puppy

Post by LarryLowell » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Feed him earlier, leave him outside if you have a fenced yard. Put him up and before you go to bed take him out again.

Leave water available all day but take water away a couple hours before putting him up.

Know that when puppies eat they then poop, puppies sleep and then when they wake up they pee and sometimes poop, puppies drink puppies pee and poop. If stimulated/excited they will pee and poop.

Again feed earlier. Then take water away acouple hours before kenneling , then let out again before you go to bed, then out again as soon as you wake up.

Larry

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:35 pm

zmac399 wrote:Its a male and he has a small crate and he's out a lot
my SMALL MUNSTERLANDER pup is 6 months old.DONE EVERYTHING I CAN TO STOP IT, still pees in house,in crate, out thru door in crate, out thru screen door in house,he learned how to lift his leg.
tonight he climbed up on me on couch to lay down and peed all over me.
tried the UTI thing, no that .
vet said its in his head and will out grow it in couple years.

THIS IS WORST DOG I HAVE EVER TRIED TO POTTY TRAIN.
i take him outside 20 times a day, i am wore out doing it and he will STILL pee in house.
i read that one of top SM breeders crates his SM at night until they are 1year old because they pee in house.
so, i figure SM take longer to housetrain.

i am not happy camper.now he runs with my best pillow and HUMPS IT.
yesterday he took my good hiking boot and ran with it and peed in my boot. :evil:

i like to kick his a but he would most likely poo in my bedroom slippers next time :roll:

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:50 pm

You NEED a NEW vet or a gsp
JIM K wrote:

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:09 am

Wildweeds wrote:You NEED a NEW vet or a gsp
JIM K wrote:

some dogs develop slower or learn slower or bladders develop slower.
I THINK A SMALL MUNSTERLANDER must be one of them. :roll:
but he is only still 6 months old. :o
yes, GSP develop quicker than SM. GSP are ready to hunt at 9 months, i seen that,
SM develop SLOWER.
i think that is what is happening with my SM.
my labs were all potty trained in 3 months.

this little guy is hardest i ever had on potty training .

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:12 am

Fix it and give it away. I know of a solid liver GSP that crapped in its crate and peed no matter what the trainer would do. Dog was over 2.

Life is to short to have a shotty dog.