trainer now or later??

LtsHnt

trainer now or later??

Post by LtsHnt » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:04 pm

what do you all think.....

i have a 4.5 mo female viz who is a very good dog, bold, birdy and so on.....im stuck in between two options at this point, two trainers, both very good and recommended by many, one is offering 100$/6 sessions, i would be there with him during training days unless i needed to just drop her off and then pick her up later. the second one i could get my pup with this coming spring for a month for 500$.....i am green and want a pro to get her on guns and birds. should i just get the training in now, get her on birds and gun conditioned hunt with her in small cover just the two of us this fall, or would it be better to wait until spring when she is 9-10 months old and get an entire month in with a trainer every day....would it be waiting too long to get her started...all i would be able to do in the meantime is run her in the fields but im afraid thats all it will turn into for her is running in the fields not finding much.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: trainer now or later??

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:32 pm

LTS -

IMO you should consider doing both. Six training sesssions with a pro over the next couple of months will do more to teach YOU what you need to be doing with your pup than anything else and that would be a bargain at twice the price. I would NOT skip a session.

The dog is genetically programmed to hunt. They come out of the birth canal knowing more about hunting than we ever will. WE humans are the ones that need training on how to get them to hunt...for us.

At this time in your pup's life, you should be bonding with it, having fun with it and exposing it to all kinds of things in the world. Runs in birdless, or nearly birdless field can be a HUGE help in getting a young dog to hunt with you and for you, FWIW. When you have that youngster thinking that the sun rises, sets and shines out of your butt...you got somethin'.

In six or seven months, if you have done your part, a trainer can bring the dog(and if you are lucky-you too) on.

RayG

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:10 am

sorry i didnt say this before....i would be doing more than just six sessions, in total i would do about 18-24 session, its just 100$/six sessions, the one thing i really want him to help with now is gun conditioning...or can that wait until spring as well?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:17 am

The only thing I would be concerned about is the methods used by each trainer....

You dont want to do anything with trainer A that trainer B is going to have to fix or work around, before he can do the job you are paying him to do. I would just talk to each and work out a program that will make for a smooth transition for your pup.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:01 pm

LtsHnt wrote:sorry i didnt say this before....i would be doing more than just six sessions, in total i would do about 18-24 session, its just 100$/six sessions, the one thing i really want him to help with now is gun conditioning...or can that wait until spring as well?
Gun conditioning can and probably should be done in the field when the dog is in full chase of a bird. That is the easiest and surest way I know of to get it done without any problems. Toss a pigeon let the dog get out there a ways after the bird and then pop a cap in the air. If the dog shows any more attention than a quick turn of its head before resuming chase, you shot too close. Work on it from there.

One thing I will say is this: You have a puppy there. A young puppy at that. Go slowly. Whatever you do..keep it fun for both of you.

RayG

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:43 pm

very good points, the trainer and i did go over how to achieve gun conditioning and it would be with birds in the mix....basically i feel i fshe goes to the trainer now...we will just be doing the basics...getting her started on birds and guns....but she is young and i worry if she would get more out of the other trainer this spring...although he would be starting at the same point we are at now, jsut with a more mature and older dog...i dont want to wait too long and end up holding her back is all i guess....if i could i would do both, but not an option, 500-600$ is my limit on the money, just cant afford much more at this time.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:50 pm

LtsHnt wrote:very good points, the trainer and i did go over how to achieve gun conditioning and it would be with birds in the mix....basically i feel i fshe goes to the trainer now...we will just be doing the basics...getting her started on birds and guns....but she is young and i worry if she would get more out of the other trainer this spring...although he would be starting at the same point we are at now, jsut with a more mature and older dog...i dont want to wait too long and end up holding her back is all i guess....if i could i would do both, but not an option, 500-600$ is my limit on the money, just cant afford much more at this time.

Personally I would wait till spring or possibly early summer before I sent her to a trainer. If all you are going to do is basic stuff with the trainer that is all fairly easy and just takes a little time and patience. I would wait till the pup was closer to a year and rat hole afew bucks and let it spend a few months with a pro when it is closer to being ready to be broke......

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

LtsHnt

Post by LtsHnt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:35 pm

so a little update and still not sure what to do....pup is doing great in the field, finds birds, gets in heavy cover, loves to hunt and find birds, pointing is still not great, bumping alot of birds but these are wild phez so im not upset. i really want to start getting her gun conditioned i just dont have the help needed. i do this on my own and as a registered nurse, my sched is not very consistant so its hard to find help. anyway, the two options still stand, however i have pretty much made up my mind to wait until spring. my concerns are this, will it be too late to start gun intro at that age, would she be too old or would about a one year old pup be ok introducing the gun with....if its going to hinder her much in the long run i can bite the bullet and get her conditioned now i would just rather not spend the extra $ if its not needed yet. any advise, anyone ever start gun conditioning at an older age....again, i would love to do this on my own with some help, its just that the help would not be on a consistant basis.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Good idea to work with a pro. Follow their and maybe ask a lot of questions if they are not too busy.

copper

Post by copper » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:18 pm

There is no reason you should feel you need a pro trainer to intoduce your pup to guns. There is plenty of info out there to help. Books,Internet,DVD's or join a local hunting club and the members will gladly help you.Research and do it right, your dog will be fine.

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:35 am

If you feel you need the help to do gun or bird intro do it. I'd recommend getting her bird and gun intro done then take her hunting this fall and if you feel you need more help seek a pro again in the spring. there is nothing better for a young pointing dog than getting out and hunting she'll learn she can't catch them birds after a little while and start pointing. Its your job to get her into learning situations and hunting is the best start.

Joe