Suggestions_Working with a GSP

GSP_Hunting Machine

Suggestions_Working with a GSP

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Hey guys/gals,

I currently have a 7 month old GSP Female and this is my first "real gundog". I am trying to go about the training process as informed and precise as possible. I realize that as an inexperienced handler I WILL make mistakes. So here are a few questions I would like to ask:

1.) I am a waterfowl hunter in South Texas. I REALLY would like for my GSP to be a reliable waterfowl dog. At seven months she has EVERY instinct to retrieve dead and loves to hunt. I will say that unlike a lab she is not a retrieving machine that loves to retrieve ANYTHING she can bring back. Is it practical to train her to be a waterfowl dog? Also, what is everyone's opinion on how cold of water she should be exposed to?

2.) Should I seek a professional trainer? If yes, when is the appropriate time to have them start with her? Can I have her trained for Upland game as well as waterfowl or do I need to pick?

3.) Any other input or suggestions?

A little background- I purchased her from a breeder. I was advised by a buddy that has shorthairs that a lab would be better fit for my hunting needs; however, I personally like the GSP better as a companion, so I decided to stick with the breed. She's beautiful and has an awesome personality!!!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Suggestions_Working with a GSP

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:25 pm

#1 Yes. She won't be up to late season hunts with skim ice like a lab would be but ........ Make sure she can get completely out of the water between retrieves. Buy a vest and keep a good layer of fat on her for those cold months. .

#2 Both are definately possible; using a pro trainer is entirely up to you and your wallet. :)

#3 Enjoy.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 pm

In my opinion, If you also want a pointing dog I wouid develop those skills before putting all the retriever control work on the dog.

Someone else more knowledgeable can comment about Navhda methods of training....but just from my perspective i would develop the birddog first.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 am

Thank you for your responses.

As of right now I am leaning on attaching an E collar to her neck (not turned on), for a few weeks while we continue to work through basic commands. I am feeling more comfortable about training her myself because I have had more time with her recently. The worst part is getting her to come to me when she doesn't want too!!! MAKES ME SOOO MAD!!!!!!!!!!

What are you guys thoughts on having a pointing dog sit? This is imperative in Waterfowl dogs and seems to be a debated issue with Pointing Dogs.

Commands I am currently using:

Sit
Stay
Come
Kennel
Down (like from the couch)
Load Up

**Working on Heel***

Not sure if I should be using WHOA???? -------------------Thoughts???

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm new to this, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'll agree with birddog and say develop pointing dog characteristics first. Pointing dogs need to be bold and independent while retrievers need to be more controllable (lots of room for semantics here, but you get the point). The commands I would work on, in order:
Here/Come
Kennel (I don't use Load, just Kennel for both situations)
Whoa
Heel
I would save sit for later.

The worst part is getting her to come to me when she doesn't want too!!! MAKES ME SOOO MAD!!!!!!!!!!
Be careful here so you don't give the wrong message, or coming to you will turn into punishment. Then she really won't want to come to you.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Look into navhda clubs in your area (North american versatile hunting dog association). This club trains versatile dogs for upland, waterfowl ,and tracking fur. Check out versatile dog forum as well. http://www.georgehickox.com/ There is a lot of good info on Georges site . Read his previously published articles. He also has a good training video.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:15 pm

4dabirds wrote:Look into navhda clubs in your area (North american versatile hunting dog association). This club trains versatile dogs for upland, waterfowl ,and tracking fur.
+ 1
Texas: (HOUSTON) LONE STAR website: http://www.lonestarnavhda.org/
~GONZALES, II, NELSON H. 10135 HACKELBERG ROAD ATASCOSA TX 78002 210/275-8791

Texas: (WEST TEXAS) TEXAS website: http://www.texasnavhda.org

EGGER, DAVID A. PO BOX 273 CHRISTOVAL TX 76935 325/656-5485

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:03 pm

+1 on NAHVDA they train for what you want out of your dog

GSP_Hunting Machine

Post by GSP_Hunting Machine » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 am

Thanks for all the replies. I am def. getting great info. for further training.