NAVHDA commands

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

NAVHDA commands

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:20 pm

What verbal commands (and visual cues) do some of you use for Duck search, vs marked retrieves, vs blind retrieves?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: NAVHDA commands

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Name only and or Fetch: for search and marks.

For the VC on the blind and working on the blind leading to VC Back!!!!
So blow whistle to stop/whoa/look at me and either give a hard back if needed or an hand signal, mounted on the voice Over!!!
For blinds or Marks: Over with the hand signal.
I have never done this in a test but during a duck hunt and I down a duck, if I can not see my dog working on a retrieve in the water and I believe they are on the wrong side of the wind, I will on occassion give two toots on the whistle to get him to change direction.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:00 pm

It seems to me that duck search is a different thing to the dog than a mark. Does any body send them with a specific command to avoid the dog going into a full out search on marked retrieves if they have trouble with a mark? What are some of the commands you have heard others use?
Maybe Kind of like a dog can find a pheasant on the pheasant track with a field search, but the judges want to see the tracking behavior wi you train a different command, ideally. Maybe?? (not taking my last run in a track as any merit on this :roll: )

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:43 pm

They will not go into a full out search on a Mark because they see the bird most times if they do not you can give minimal commands.

Fetch means go find it bring it back.\
Do not come back without it.
IMO
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:51 pm

I send the dog on there name for everything. I use the word line on blinds so the focus is on the direction given by my hand.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 am

I just say Fetch.
brenda

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:15 am

Im with Brenda. I just say fetch it worked fine the other week and i now have a 200 max score VC? I do add mark to the blind when im teaching it. I say mark as my arm comes up and i pop a trap on the far bank. After a few times when i say mark with my arm coming up the dog starts lookng to the bank then i send with fetch and the trap goes away. I have found keeping it simple is best for both us black and white. Good luck

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:06 pm

The reason we send on the dogs name is so we don't get burnt at the honor or on a back. My husband went out one to many times running retriever trials years ago at the honor with the word fetch. The retrieving dog sent on fetch there's a good chance your dog could go too. With the dogs name fetch means nothing. The retriever boys like to holler fetch to try to take out the honoring dog. At the invitational the retrieving dog is sent on a soft spoken command so chances of the honoring dog breaking is far less.
Hattrick , congrats on your new VC. :D

Gooseman07

NAVHDA commands

Post by Gooseman07 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:29 pm

Lets see. I've taught my dog a few commands each meaning something a little different to give him ques.
'Dead duck'+'NAME'= duck search, see ya.
'Dead bird'+'BACK'=blind retrieve.
'NAME'=mark retrieve.
'Track'=track the downed bird.
'Honor'=honor the other dog and don't MOVE!

I guess we'll see in two weeks when i run in UT if this works out for me or not. This is how I've trained so I hope when I put him in the situation he'll follow through. We have done more marked retrieve work than anything and his name has worked well for me for that and separating marks and blinds.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Gooseman good luck! I run a UT this weekend too, its what ever works for you. Cage i do understand people howlering fetch messing things up. When i,m in the feild i release with a head tap and nothing else. I due this to respect to the backing dog. I just never used the name, maybe i should. Fetch is a driving command for me. I no fellow that used to use fruit name for comands just for tjat reason it funny as crap but workec. True story