Training my 12wk old Lab

Boone's Pappy

Training my 12wk old Lab

Post by Boone's Pappy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to training dogs. I have hunted my whole life and am looking to train my new partner, a 12 week old yellow lab male (Boone).

Here is what I have done thus far since picking him up at 7 weeks from Miller Creek Kennels here in TX.

Started with "sit" and then moved to "down" and "come". Once he had these down I started walking him on the leash with a "heel" command.

We go to a field close to the house via leash twice a day for about 15 minutes. I think he would play longer but I want to keep him excited and not bore him. Once we get there, I put him on his check cord and let him get some smelling and jumping out of his system. I started throwing him small bumpers and a Doken dove decoy after a session or two of walking around. He has been almost perfect when it comes to retrieving them and bringing them to hand. Now I have started to hold him for 3-4 seconds after saying "mark", throw the bumper and then releasing him while saying his name. He has preformed the exact same way with this. Yesterday was the first day that I used 3 short blows on a whistle to signal "come" once he had the bumper in his mouth. The first retrieve was slower but right none the less. I have also used a few dove wings to play with 2-3 days a week and he had no problems with them. Picked them up and brought them to me as if they were a bumper.

We went out this past weekend with my dads 2yo lab and hit a shallow pond. I got in my waders and started walking out and my pup followed. We played in his chest deep water for a few minutes and then I walked deeper. He followed and swam fine. I did not throw any bumpers bc I was worried it was too much for one day.

I have been treating each positive reaction with tiny cubes of Swiss Cheese. My plan is to go to praise only after this week.

I wanted to give you guys an idea of what we have been doing to see if you had any input in our training schedule. What drills should I move to next to keep him interested? Maybe work on "place" next? Thank you in advance for your input.

campgsp

Re: Training my 12wk old Lab

Post by campgsp » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:56 am

I think you're doing everything well so far. You might want to teach woah for safety reasons. And use fetch instead of his name for the retrieve.
Other then that great job.
Congrats on your new pup.

EvanG

Re: Training my 12wk old Lab

Post by EvanG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:05 am

Boone's Pappy wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to training dogs. I have hunted my whole life and am looking to train my new partner, a 12 week old yellow lab male (Boone).
Congratulations on your new pup! I like the name (being a decendant of Squire Boone - Daniel's brother :D )
Boone's Pappy wrote:Here is what I have done thus far since picking him up at 7 weeks from Miller Creek Kennels here in TX. Started with "sit" and then moved to "down" and "come". Once he had these down I started walking him on the leash with a "heel" command.
For retrievers especially, the better priority for commands to teach are as follows: Here (or Come if you prefer), Sit, Kennel, Down. It matters. But you're just now to a point at which to require a somewhat higher degree of obedience. It is not time for formalize obedience however. At around 16 weeks follow a proven program and CC to "Here"/"Come". But I caution you here; use a proven program to do it and it should go great.
Boone's Pappy wrote:We go to a field close to the house via leash twice a day for about 15 minutes. I think he would play longer but I want to keep him excited and not bore him.
Good thinking. 10-15 minutes is plenty.
Boone's Pappy wrote:Once we get there, I put him on his check cord and let him get some smelling and jumping out of his system. I started throwing him small bumpers and a Doken dove decoy after a session or two of walking around. He has been almost perfect when it comes to retrieving them and bringing them to hand. Now I have started to hold him for 3-4 seconds after saying "mark", throw the bumper and then releasing him while saying his name.
Be very careful about holding him back too much right now. He should be crazy about going, and requiring steadiness at this point can dampen his enthusiasm.
Boone's Pappy wrote:He has preformed the exact same way with this. Yesterday was the first day that I used 3 short blows on a whistle to signal "come" once he had the bumper in his mouth.
The toots of the whistle are equal to commanding Come. Use tugs on the rope at the same moment as you give the command. Avoid a steady pull. Dogs universally resist a steady pull.
Boone's Pappy wrote:The first retrieve was slower but right none the less.
RED FLAG!That's the risk of holding him back at this age. Speed and enthusiasm are far more important than precise control right now!
Boone's Pappy wrote:I have also used a few dove wings to play with 2-3 days a week and he had no problems with them. Picked them up and brought them to me as if they were a bumper.
That's a good thing. He should be retrieving real birds as soon as possible. Pigeons are best to start with.
Boone's Pappy wrote:We went out this past weekend with my dads 2yo lab and hit a shallow pond. I got in my waders and started walking out and my pup followed. We played in his chest deep water for a few minutes and then I walked deeper. He followed and swam fine. I did not throw any bumpers bc I was worried it was too much for one day.
That's a good intro to water. I toss a couple short easy retrieves when I'm doing intro to water because it's a positive association that tends to make the pup look forward to being in water more.
Boone's Pappy wrote:I have been treating each positive reaction with tiny cubes of Swiss Cheese. My plan is to go to praise only after this week.
Cheese is not good for pups. It can constipate them. Use small chunks of hot dog, or tiny balls of pre-cooked hamburger as a reward instead. I keep small pouch of such treats with me when working with pups.
Boone's Pappy wrote:I wanted to give you guys an idea of what we have been doing to see if you had any input in our training schedule. What drills should I move to next to keep him interested? Maybe work on "place" next? Thank you in advance for your input.
Bonding and socialization are at least as important as skills right now. Here are a couple video clips from the Smartwork Puppy Program to give you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywrx4O9FeY&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVbFKGrS5DE&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnNSMLPYLJc&feature=plcp

This puppy program is worth its weight in gold for a retriever pup. Let me know anytime I can be of help.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum