Duck retrieve issue

cheetome

Duck retrieve issue

Post by cheetome » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:16 pm

I have a 2.5 year old gsp that has been doing fantastic in the water all summer huge searches in cover ect. now last night she didn't search nearly as well and when the duck was found in the cattails she would catch it and retrieve to hand but when she pushed a duck out of the cattails in the open she would not chase the duck and if she did she was giving up on the chase. I ended training with her catching a wing clipped duck thrown at 20-40 yards into the water hoping to end on a good note which we did she chased and caught it 3 times. I can't figure out what is causing this. The only thing I can think of is she is confused with all the steady training in the field, maybe confusing not chasing birds with open water ducks? Any suggestions? She is force broke.

steamer

Re: Duck retrieve issue

Post by steamer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:49 pm

how is she if you plant a dead duck? will she retrieve it if you plant it in the cat tails for her? did she get wing beat by a duck ? it sounds like she is scared of the live duck and is blinking them. you might try taping the wings and or feet of some live ducks and plant a couple for her and let her build some confidence. it could also be to much duck training maybe she is board. but i have not seen to many gsp's that didnt love to chase a duck. good luck with your dog

cheetome

Post by cheetome » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:32 pm

She will retrieve a dead duck no problem and up to this point loved the chase. I had ducks taped to begin with but switched to wing clipped since that is what they do in tests. As far as ducks in the cattails she will get a live one no problem just when the swim into open wate that this problem started.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:05 pm

The wing taped ducks are good to get them started but a wing clipped duck makes more racket usually, more fun to go get.
The other thing, I would shoot a couple of the wing taped ones and have her fetch those fresh dead ducks.

Not seeing what is going on this was my first thought.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:34 am

I think it is likely that your steadiness training has caused this ? I have seen similar 3 times in field trials for spaniels. 2 of the spaniels ran out keenly to retrieve on command but refused to chase after and pick up the running pheasants. The other spaniel refused to chase and catch a lightly hit rabbit. All 3 spaniel trialers said the same thing, that they had overdone the steadiness to game movement training.

Personally , I doubt very much if your dog will keep on doing this provided you have a little rethink about what comes first .....the cart or the horse . :wink:

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:10 am

Could also be that a duck beat the heck out of her with it's wing bones, or but it's nose. Ducks can be nasty, just like pheasant or goose can.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 am

Sounds to me like Bill is on the right track. I hadn't though of that but it does make sense. Throw a dead duck in those cattails and see what happen's. My first though was the same as GH's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

cheetome

Post by cheetome » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:56 am

I think Bill is also correct as I did mention the steadiness in the op. I will shoot a few fresh wing clips and go from there.