Pointing fur

Rmgariador

Pointing fur

Post by Rmgariador » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:43 pm

While out running my 4 month old Gsp he had a pretty good point on a couple deer. Is this good if I want to use him for upland game?
YEP!

Rmgariador

Pointing fur

Post by Rmgariador » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350093151.870223.jpg
The deer are just above the green bush and a little to the left on the trail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YEP!

gotpointers

Re: Pointing fur

Post by gotpointers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:57 pm

He's young, ignore it. I am sure he's gonna point some rabbits and hopefully no skunks.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Cool picture. Is that off your cellphone? If so how's that tapatalk working out for you? As far as ease of posting pictures.

Rmgariador

Pointing fur

Post by Rmgariador » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:30 pm

Yes it's off my cell phone it works really well. I have iPhone 4 all I had to do was adjust my settings for the app to access photo library and it loaded right up. He hasn't pointed any rabbit but that same day he held point on a squirrel hole for a good minute or so. I figure he is just having fun. The quail on our property are hiding from me lol I got him into the scent trail once and he was super excited bout it, but again I think he is too young they flew off and he didn't even notice them. I figure when he starts running bigger he will find them and we will really have some fun.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350095261.156764.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
YEP!

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:37 pm

He's got prey drive, so you're doing great. Has he been exposed to any of the gambles or scaled quail that look like they would inhabit that type of area?

Rmgariador

Pointing fur

Post by Rmgariador » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:47 pm

We have the scaled quail and the only introduction he has had was when I got him into the scent trail and he smelled where they were bedding. Other than that I just keep running him where I know they hang out but they are hiding from me. I think the problem is the hills are really dry so they are hanging on the cliffs or deep valleys where I can't reach them yet. Hopefully a couple more rainy days and they will have more food on the rolling hills and ill have easier access.
YEP!

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:04 am

Looks to me more like an visual acknowledgement rather than a (scent) point. A good thing in my book.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:31 am

Rmgariador wrote:We have the scaled quail and the only introduction he has had was when I got him into the scent trail and he smelled where they were bedding. Other than that I just keep running him where I know they hang out but they are hiding from me. I think the problem is the hills are really dry so they are hanging on the cliffs or deep valleys where I can't reach them yet. Hopefully a couple more rainy days and they will have more food on the rolling hills and ill have easier access.
They are very elusive bird's. Not like hunting Easter eggs thats for sure. After a while a smart and experienced dog will.throw sort of a shepherds hook and block the path of the fleeing birds and pin them between you and the dog. Then the birds eventually get to the point where they flush to the nearest cliff when you get within 300 yards of them.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Instinct to point anything really good IMO. As long as he's not giving chase even better. And pointing a skunk not fun been there.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:32 am

As long as he's not chasing any fur... at that age, he'll point everything... 8) Just ignore it cuz it's not something to praise and just keep getting him on birds... Heck, my dog even points my mother in law at the back door... (Not a bad thing as far as a little heads up goes...) :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 am

SHORTFAT wrote:As long as he's not chasing any fur... at that age, he'll point everything... 8) Just ignore it cuz it's not something to praise and just keep getting him on birds... Heck, my dog even points my mother in law at the back door... (Not a bad thing as far as a little heads up goes...) :mrgreen:

Good looking pointer.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:28 am

I will usually call a dog like that around real quick if they get fixated on a deer....dont want mine even thinking about deer.

I think if you let the dog know early and consistently to ignore deer your better off....a sharp command to break the concentration and head off in another direction.

JMHO, but good looking dog.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno