e collar recommendations

zmac399

e collar recommendations

Post by zmac399 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:21 am

What are the best e collars to use I'm gonna try training my shorthair myself so anything from you guys will help thank you

wes_gsp

Re: e collar recommendations

Post by wes_gsp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 am

I like tritronix. The more levels of stimulation the better. Remember though that your not going to use the collar to train your dog. The dog need to know the commands and be conditioned with the collar to those commands.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:58 am

Have always used tritronics.
Make sure you use it on the highest setting on yourself first before you put it on your pup. Better to know what your dogs feeling then burning him up.
And learn to use it properly like what was said above.

Enjoy your new pup lots of great times ahead.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Dogtra 2500 B/T...........great unit. Beeper can be operated from the hand transmitter too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Make sure you use it on the highest setting on yourself first before you put it on your pup. Better to know what your dogs feeling then burning him up.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:31 pm

I've used a bunch. The only brand I have been completely dissatisfied with was Sportdog. In my experience, the battery life is really bad with that particular brand. When I worked with a pro retriever trainer, we used tritronics exclusively. Two seperate e-collar systems used every day, several hours a day and seemed bulletproof. But, they are also pricey. I have had an innotek (command series) with lots and lots of options. It was a nice collar but the button covers on the transmitter wore out relatively quickly. However, I think they may have resolved that issue in newer models. For the money, I think DT systems may be the best value. I have two, a one dog and a two dog, and have had very good success with them. I don't know if it still applies but when I bought mine there was a life-time warranty. Basically, they would take care of anything right up to a lost transmitter for a little over a hundred dollars.

If price is a concern once you decide what you really want I would suggest you watch ebay for awhile. I bought my dog dog DT systems for about a third of what I would have paid brand new. I don't know if it was just luck, but one of the receivers has never been used. There was not a scratch on it. The other receiver had a few scratches but no wear on the collar. It turned out to be a heck of a deal.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:33 pm

whoadog wrote:dog dog
Should have read "two dog". Sorry

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:57 pm

Tri Tronics is the most used by pros. Reliable and the levels are repeatable. There Sport model offers mulitple dogs for a decent price. Dogtra also makes a decent unit.