Training with Birds and Bumpers

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

Training with Birds and Bumpers

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:12 am

Ok so my pup has been being training with the breeder with real birds on retrieving, etc. She is about 3 to 4 months old and is already retrieving them and bringing them back. I have more to learn than she does at this point!

Anyway, I pick her up around December 10th when I get back into the states. I want to keep working with her so the question is once a pup is use to live birds or frozen birds, etc. can you still train with bumpers or should you stick to the real thing?

Thanks!

P.S. Pardon my ignorance if I gooned up describing anything.

campgsp

Re: Training with Birds and Bumpers

Post by campgsp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:42 am

You can still use bumpers. I would suggest mixing it up between birds and bumper. Just to keep the dog from getting bored.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:36 pm

I would keep going on the bumpers because they are always available, game might not be.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:52 pm

JoePaTurfShoes wrote:Ok so my pup has been being training with the breeder with real birds on retrieving, etc. She is about 3 to 4 months old and is already retrieving them and bringing them back. I have more to learn than she does at this point!

Anyway, I pick her up around December 10th when I get back into the states. I want to keep working with her so the question is once a pup is use to live birds or frozen birds, etc. can you still train with bumpers or should you stick to the real thing?

Thanks!

P.S. Pardon my ignorance if I gooned up describing anything.
Both, as long as she likes them. Throw what she likes to bring out the best desire. Is this a pointer or retriever pup?

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Flusher/Retriever............Boykin Spaniel

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:34 am

You want to use birds live and dead at every opportunity with a Boykin but that's not possible when/if (and I hope in your case JoePa it's "when") you're training the dog to handle with retriever drills. Lotta stuff ahead of you in training a retriever and a lotta little dog for doing it with by having gotten a Boykin.

MG

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 pm

crackerd wrote:You want to use birds live and dead at every opportunity with a Boykin but that's not possible when/if (and I hope in your case JoePa it's "when") you're training the dog to handle with retriever drills. Lotta stuff ahead of you in training a retriever and a lotta little dog for doing it with by having gotten a Boykin.

MG
AMEN!

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum