Dog doesnt range

joachimt

Dog doesnt range

Post by joachimt » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:05 pm

I have a 1year and a half GSP. I have trained her for the most part myself. She did earn a ribbon in a junior hunt test. When I trained her this summer she would do a great job. good search, range out, steady and retrieve to hand. However, now that hunting season has started I took her out and she doesnt show the same drive. she stays real close to me frequently stopping and looking at me not knowing what to do. If there is a path she will just walk on it and wont quarter and search for birds. It seems like when she knows there are birds to hunt, like when I train with her she hunts but if not she doesnt know what to do. I was out with her today and she didnt get more than 20 yards from me. She just doesnt have a hard drive to go out and search for birds. I talked to a couple of trainers about it and they said to say OK or hunt on when she stops and looks at me. I do that 100 times each time I hunt with her but she just keeps doing it. The thing is she did get on a bird today and once she does then she picks up her pace and will actively hunt. This is my third dog and I have never encountered this. My other 2 would run non stop the minute I let them out of the truck. This one just stands next to me when I let her out and is content to walk by me!! Any suggestions???

1vizsla

Re: Dog doesnt range

Post by 1vizsla » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Is she coming into season? Sounds like mine right before she does.

Carla

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:23 pm

Keep hunting her and keep your mouth shut. When she dallies speed up. All she needs is to get comfortable and start finding a few birds. Try to be patient and I think she will get over it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Not to say that is happening in your case but too many commands will cause a dog to linger near. Why would he run out 200 yards if he knows he'll be coming back soon ? Say nothing for a month or two and see if there is any change. (This especially will happen if the dog is afraid of a correction "out there".
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:11 pm

Yep, mouth shut and ignore it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:57 pm

Agree with what was said above.

If you have a choice of type of cover, choose lighter cover with shorter foliage.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17 am

Was this dog taken out as a pup and allowed to learn cover? If your bird hunting, you are in some kind of cover and I'd guess the dog doesn't want to go there. Since hunting season started, you've likely been in cover it doesn't care for and now is keeping clear. It stays close to you getting out because it recognizes the situation and knows what is coming. That would be my guess.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:58 am

Walk right in the likely cover yourself and get him into some birds. If birds are scarce plant some where the wild ones should be.