Which breeder would you go for??

quailhunter

Post by quailhunter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:38 am

Hey there,
This is my first post on this forum and wanted to see what your opinions would be... I mainly hunt chukar and quail and I'm a GSP diehard. I have a Gsp out of Greif lines and love these lines. I'll be ready for another dog by next summer and want to do my research as of now. I like a big ranging dog but not a marathon runner because I'm a foot hunter and want a dog that checks in without me following him on horseback. Which breeder would you pick out of these kennels?
1- Prairie Winds http://www.prairiewindgsps.com/about-us.html
2- Teton Kennels http://azquailguide.com/
3- Wildrose Kennels http://wildrosegermanshorthairs.com/

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Which breeder would you go for??

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:00 pm

I don't want a breeder so I would look for the dogs that you like and buy a pup of theirs no matter who the breeder is. It is all about what makes you happy in the field and most breeders have dogs you might like and some you don't. Research the dogs and find what you like.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

quailhunter

Post by quailhunter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:42 pm

That definitely makes things a lot easier haha. I know what you mean, but I just want input from people that have seen bird dogs in action from these breeders.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 pm

Quailhunter, you could not go wrong with any of these breeders presuming they have some dogs that do what you want them to as Ezzy mentioned. Now that you've narrowed down to three excellent GSP breeders, start your research on their lines and pairings to see what best matches your needs. If there is any way you can see the parents work, so much the better. (for what it's worth - I have all three of these breeders on my "preferred" GSP list as well) :D

Good luck.

quailhunter

Post by quailhunter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks for the input! It narrowed it down haha I e-mailed Charlie and he gave me one of his client's e-mail... Long story short, I think I'm already sold on Wildrose german shorthairs! Either that or Teton Kennels nooo I meant prairie winds haha. I think it'll come down to who has a litter on the ground and who the parents are, etc. Thanks again for your feedback

quailhunter

Post by quailhunter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:57 pm

So I just got off the phone with Bobbi Richardson from Prairie wind gsp and she told me that they don't want to sell pups to people in California anymore. I've been trying to get ahold of them for quite some time now because they really were on top of my list. She definitely has had some bad experience with someone from California but I really wanted a dog out of their lines! Leaves it to Teton kennels and wild rose then...

trueblu

Post by trueblu » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:49 am

it depends on how much you like the Greif lines and how close and how TRUE Greif the dogs you own are. Don't be fooled into thinking that Billy was a Greif dog or that many who claim Greif really know how much TRUE Greif is in their lines. I know 2 of the 3 breeders, Rose and Richardson, and I know Don Lee's lines well. Nothing for or against the breeders you named. But, please don't be fooled into believing in people's word for how wonderful their dogs are or how much they've won in trialing or how much they hunt their dogs on wild birds. See their dogs in action. I have bred, trained, hunted, and trialed many many true Greif dogs and they range from close workers to dead whole hearted run offs. Most TRUE Greif dogs are very hard headed and were originally produced to be able to take very hard training. Nowadays, the dogs that are truly Greif are often not much in the range department. With that said and with what you said you want in a dog, I would look at the parents of the litters, see them worked on birds, in person and see how each acts toward its handler/owner, pay attention to how they go to birds-high and full of confidence or on their belly like a reptile. I would spend time around the parents, and yes, pay attention to what they have won, against what competition, and then make my decision. The breeders you are considering are all very different in what they produce, what they do with their dogs, and their lines are very different.

I would tend to tell you to talk to Larry Lowell and Carl Porter in CA and call Keith and Robbi Gulledge at Blue Dawn Kennels in Madison, KS. I have owned far too many Greif lines, Slick lines, Clown, Saddle. Overall, I may hunt differently from you, out of a 4 wheeler or off horse, but I sure love the dogs that BDK produces. They are tough, love birds, very confident, a little hard headed, but they want to do for you and they seem to break more easily than anything I've seen. I can recommend the Slick, Cutter, Ace, lines for most bird hunters.

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:11 am

trueblu wrote: I would tend to tell you to talk to Larry Lowell and Carl Porter in CA and call Keith and Robbi Gulledge at Blue Dawn Kennels in Madison, KS. I have owned far too many Greif lines, Slick lines, Clown, Saddle. Overall, I may hunt differently from you, out of a 4 wheeler or off horse, but I sure love the dogs that BDK produces. They are tough, love birds, very confident, a little hard headed, but they want to do for you and they seem to break more easily than anything I've seen. I can recommend the Slick, Cutter, Ace, lines for most bird hunters.

what he said!

bossman

Post by bossman » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:22 pm

I guess it's too early for you, but there is a litter advertised under the Dogs for Sale section ..BDK's Sin City Wildcard Litter...that I'd be all over if I were looking for a pup. Good luck on whatever you do!

quailhunter

Post by quailhunter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:55 am

trueblu wrote:it depends on how much you like the Greif lines and how close and how TRUE Greif the dogs you own are. Don't be fooled into thinking that Billy was a Greif dog or that many who claim Greif really know how much TRUE Greif is in their lines. I know 2 of the 3 breeders, Rose and Richardson, and I know Don Lee's lines well. Nothing for or against the breeders you named. But, please don't be fooled into believing in people's word for how wonderful their dogs are or how much they've won in trialing or how much they hunt their dogs on wild birds. See their dogs in action. I have bred, trained, hunted, and trialed many many true Greif dogs and they range from close workers to dead whole hearted run offs. Most TRUE Greif dogs are very hard headed and were originally produced to be able to take very hard training. Nowadays, the dogs that are truly Greif are often not much in the range department. With that said and with what you said you want in a dog, I would look at the parents of the litters, see them worked on birds, in person and see how each acts toward its handler/owner, pay attention to how they go to birds-high and full of confidence or on their belly like a reptile. I would spend time around the parents, and yes, pay attention to what they have won, against what competition, and then make my decision. The breeders you are considering are all very different in what they produce, what they do with their dogs, and their lines are very different.

I would tend to tell you to talk to Larry Lowell and Carl Porter in CA and call Keith and Robbi Gulledge at Blue Dawn Kennels in Madison, KS. I have owned far too many Greif lines, Slick lines, Clown, Saddle. Overall, I may hunt differently from you, out of a 4 wheeler or off horse, but I sure love the dogs that BDK produces. They are tough, love birds, very confident, a little hard headed, but they want to do for you and they seem to break more easily than anything I've seen. I can recommend the Slick, Cutter, Ace, lines for most bird hunters.
Wow thanks for the detailed response!! I think I'll stick to local breeders and pick a pup after I see the parents in action.
Thanks again

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 pm

Imo

Most gundogs hunt and will mold into wha t you want them to be. I have seen some lines from the US some horseback lines run far out of hunting range if you not on a horse. Most of them if they biddable will change their hunting pattern to suit your need and so on and so on .....

You cannot teach a dog to hunt or to smell (nose) a good nose on a tortoise doesnt help either.
You need to go see the dogs parents work to help make up your mind.

I have imported 3 dogs from Charlie Wildrose German Shorthairs, they all great versitile and biddable, might have to much drive for some, but I like it. Charles will do his best to get a dog to you that will work for you, he has many years breeding, training and trailing behind his dogs, with a good track record. Have a look at the AKC rankings the dogs up there does have nose, natural abillity and hunt. That my 2c

Good luck in choosing a long term hunting buddy.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:14 am

I like the Grief line also, that being said, you can't go wrong with a Wild Rose puppy! :)

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:04 pm

Richardson's breed more off of Spekk were Larry breeds more off of Billy Dee's or old B.E.. I've been really happy with my Gator dog. I would call Larry Lowell,Ellis Hallmark or Leroy Merrell if you like those lines. I think Tyler (ultracarry) on the forum is going to be breeding his female to some old B.E stuff good luck.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Should be breeding her in January if she cooperates. To a son of beirs evolution and aces prima banane. Everything is in order just waiting for her .......

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 pm

ultracarry wrote:Should be breeding her in January if she cooperates. To a son of beirs evolution and aces prima banane. Everything is in order just waiting for her .......
Well, tell her to hurry up. Lol

trueblu

Post by trueblu » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Just to clarify a couple points...

Meller, Greif is the line-old "Greif" was Greif v. Hundsheimerkogel imported from Austria in the 50's. With dogs such as Yunga, Karin, Freida, Berta, etc. all Greif and the beginnings of the line in the US in California.

Dang, Ultra, a son of Prima Banane and Beier's Evolution. That dog must be about 25. I don't believe either dog is any closer than maybe 4 generations these days. Even a tight bred true Greif litter would have either dog's genetic % be only 10% of the pups.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:42 pm

It would be pretty close.....

It's a frozen semen breeding to FC AFC flash-back to evolution. Preference will go to field trial homes.

quailhunter

Post by quailhunter » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 pm

I already talked to ultra! I'm not gonna go with any out of state breeder. I love his lines and will talk to him as soon as the female is in heat!
I'll be getting a male from you Ultra ;)