E collar and English Setter

treedaddy

E collar and English Setter

Post by treedaddy » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 am

I have 3 young dogs, 2 year old female EP and male and female ES coming up on 2 years old. I recently purchased an e collar with the intent on keeping the dogs in range. It is working out real well with the pointer. She knows now that I need her to stay in contact with me. The male setter doesn't range too far, he is just prone to doing strange things, like not coming to the truck when it is time to load up. I think I have broke him of that. The problem that I have created is with the setter female. Last year she pointed birds, but ran wild most of the year, staying off sometimes 30 minutes or so at a time. I put the e collar on her and took her to enclosed ball fields whistled her in and after a tap or two with the collar she would come in. Took her out Saturday and let her run in a soy bean field and she got to running off. I whistled and gave her a tap and she stood still and wouldn't move. Went to her and walked back to the truck. Took her out the next day and now she won't get out from under my feet. The setting was on 2 out of 6. Advise welcomed from you experienced guys. She doesn't seem real scared, just stays real close.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: E collar and English Setter

Post by shags » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:39 am

Apparently your 2 out of 6 is too hot for that dog in those circumstances. Also, is there a chance she didn't hear you whistle? Sometimes while they're running and breathing hard it takes a couple commands to get through to them. Especially if it's windy.

Let her wear the collar around the place for a while. Don't turn it on. Don't fuss over her if she's sticky, just ignore it. When you run her, do it somewhere she can't take off on you until she returns to hunting and running.

Next time you zap her, make sure she has heard and ignored your command. You don't want her fearful of some random bolt from the blue. And turn the collar down. It's supposed to be a little reminder, not a punishment.

It sounds like she's freaked out for now but with patience she'll get over it. These things happen. Good luck.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:57 am

X2
Also make sure the collar is tight and getting a good connection or the stimulation will vary. When the dog is wet in the field the contact is increased also be aware and vary the stimulation accordingly.

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:31 am

This is improper use of the e collar. Your shutting your dog down not training g a behavior and overlaying the e collar. If the dog does not respond to the command without the e collar it does not understand the command as it relates to the collar. Train the dog first then overlay the collar.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Treedaddy
Something went wrong, back up a few steps. Just run the dog with the colar on for a while leave the remote in
The truck. go back to the yard or house and train there on commands that you know the dog understands. It takes
Some time on a soft dog. I put the collar on in the house and trained with every command. That worked for my soft
Setter. Good luck.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered