Pheasant retrieve problems

gard86

Pheasant retrieve problems

Post by gard86 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:04 am

My 10 month old britt is doing great. He holds point very well and after the shot he runs staight to the bird. He will retrieve a chuckar every time but will not bring a pheasant back. We started him on chuckars only and Im wondering if the pheasants being a bigger bird is the issue. Need advise please.

EvanG

Re: Pheasant retrieve problems

Post by EvanG » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:36 am

The size of the bird is surely part of the issue. The pup's age is also a part of this. Give him a bit of time, and keep him on smaller birds for now. Around 12-14 months put him through a solid, proven FF program; all the steps. He'll be fine.

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

mxdad777

Post by mxdad777 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm

I went through the same problem last year with my 1 year old. I shot 50 chukar over her and she did great. Started hunting pheasants and she would point, but wouldn't retrieve. Sometimes she would bring it part way back, but mostly would just stand by the bird and look at me like "what am I supposed to do with this'? I just let the season play out and didn't worry too much about it. First hunt this year was last weekend. We hunted pheasants and she retrieved all of them to hand like she has been doing it for 10 years. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Time will cure it and if you're worried about it, FF after this season is over.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:33 pm

Its the size of the bird. She is just confused all the other birds were small. Entice her with the bird. Make her want it. Toss it around for her she will want it more then.
Later on ff

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:41 pm

This is almost always a problem for me also when I start dogs young. Something I have found that works well for me is to hunt them with a dog that retrieves well and so that there is a little competition in the equation.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:49 am

What I am about to suggest may horrify you but if I get a dog that will not retrieve a bird of whatever species then I send the dog for the runners and sort of shut my eyes ! So far doing this has never failed me and so far , no matter what the first runner or two came back like, the dogs have not become hard-mouthed. Dogs tend to make a grab at an escaping bird.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !