What to do with runners

mxdad777

What to do with runners

Post by mxdad777 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:54 pm

Preface:...98% of my hunting is done on a private club with chukar and pheasants. There are very few wild birds where I live, so wild birds aren't really an option for me.
My dog is 20 months old and has just started her second season of hunting. We have been out twice this year and have had a problem with runners. My dog will find, point and hold her point on the chukar. When I approach her I will walk around her and flush the bird. 8 out of the 12 chukar we have hunted this year don't fly when I kick at them, they start running away. My dog will hold steady until the bird runs about 15 feet away and then she will break after the bird. At this point about half of the birds fly and the other half she grabs and brings back to me. My question is, how should I handle this? If the stupid bird would just fly when I kick at it, I wouldn't have a problem, but they run. Some of this is probably my fault too, because last year when I would flush a bird if it ran I would tell her "get it" and when she ran after it, the bird would fly. (she got to flush) I do the same thing if there is a phez in heavy cover that I can't flush. I give her the "get it" command and she will flush the bird. Problem is, I want her to flush the bird, not catch it and bring it to me. So lets hear it, what's the best way to handle this situation?

campgsp

Re: What to do with runners

Post by campgsp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:04 pm

Pen raised birds can be stupid. With that there isn't a real fix IMO the birds are not smart enough to fly away while being chased. Your better option would be to make her steady to wing and shot or fall. That way you can get the bird up without having to worry about her breaking to get it. For the thick stuff you could still have her flush them if you want but in the open I think steadiness would be the better option for you.
Just my. 02

quailhunter

Post by quailhunter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:26 pm

Find a better club if you absolutely can't go wild bird hunting! I'm sure you have a couple of spots close to you up north.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:36 am

Make your flushing attempts very aggressive. or circle around to flush kind of towards the dog.

Sounds like poor birds or birds too used to humans...
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:15 am

I work my dog on a private club 2-4 days a week. If you plant them get tour foot under and shove them up. If not you may need to run and make your dog stand. It's over a year and a half old so it is a better option.

On a running bird people ask if I can have my dog flush it. I kindly let them know she isn't a flisher and if they shoot her it will be a very long day.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 am

Break the dog to running birds

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:14 pm

Do you whoa her once she establishes point?, Might want to get one of the birds before you go out and reinforce whoa, having it walk around the dog while you steady her.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 pm

watch her catching those birds and bringing them back to you........ nothing but problems down the road. do you have some one who can help you? Check cord would help. in a pinch LCS sells a short step in stake you can loop the CC over so she is stopped while you make the flush. Or you can collar condition to WHOA.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Break a leg or hobble the legs with twine or zip ties before planting them and they won't run.My freind used to guide at a preserve,he found he got better dog work and bigger tips when he broke the legs.The bigger tips came from getting all their birds and stroking the client's up on their shooting prowess.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:32 pm

quailhunter wrote:Find a better club if you absolutely can't go wild bird hunting! I'm sure you have a couple of spots close to you up north.
I agree--find a club with better birds :!:

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:08 pm

I have used tape to tie the legs close together and that worked. I like the string idea. My young dog dives right in -- needs lots more work.

mxdad777

Post by mxdad777 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Today was much better. I had my brother go with me and I was able to use a check cord on her. Only one of the five birds ran today and she stayed on whoa and watched it run. I had the CC on her, but didn't have to use it. My brother was able to eventually get the bird to fly. I really like the idea of hobbling their legs so they can't run. I think I'll try that next time.
One more question....My dog is collar conditioned and does pretty well with the whoa command, but not 100% on whoa yet. Is it okay to use the e-collar when she is on point and I have given her the whoa command if she moves? I have been told to never use the e-collar on a dog while engaged with a bird, but then I have also been told that only applies to pups. My thought is when she goes on point I give her the whoa command and if the bird starts to run, and my dog moves I give her a collar correction. Wouldn't this be the same as a CC? Thoughts???

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:51 am

If you can train the dog to flush without trying to bite at the bird please let me know.....I hate pen raised birds. The thought of the dog pushing the bird in the air with her/his nose makes me laugh. Pen raised birds help with one thing IMO, obedience. When that dog knows whoa means don't make one move even if the sorry bird runs under his legs you've got a dog that minds. Bird launchers might help but it sounds like you'd need a few of them.