DOG BELLS

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

DOG BELLS

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:01 am

I have never attached a bell to a dog, they are never used here but I have recently been told that in some Brittany trials in France it is customary for the dog to wear a bell ...... even when hunting stubble fields ! My Xmas present to myself this year is going to be a brittany pup and I may bell her. I might want to trial in France but in addition to that most of my hunting grounds have a lot of cover .... too much to easily see a brittany in. A bell might be useful.

My questions are these........ Do bells ever frighten game off before a dog reaches scenting distance ? Do bells cause game to flush ? Is there a best and not too large bell that is preferable to other bells ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: DOG BELLS

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:07 pm

I wouldn't mind hearing some thoughts here as well. Just bought one from Tractor supply, and the little one seems to be louder than the larger one. I worry that the bell ringing in the dogs ears will lessen their attentivness to the whistle if the pitch is too close. I don't use a whistle always, but sure is nicer for my small voice than screaming so I can be heard 100 yards away.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:03 am

Coverdog people are fanatic about their bells, most seem to have dozens of bells. They want a bell that matches the dog, no they don't all sound the same on every dog. They want one they can hear well. A lot of people seem to like the lower tone bells and can hear them better, I like the higher pitched. In the trials you need to have a couple bells to ensure you don't have one that sounds to much like your bracemates. You have the louder bells for the bigger running dogs and for windy days. Quieter bells have there benifets as well since the dog can hear and keep track of you better.

I don't know if they scare grouse or woodcock, some dogs seem to get pretty well every bird they come across pointed with one on thou. They are also neccesary. Without one and a big running dog in the woods, you would never keep track of the dog.

whoadog

Post by whoadog » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:49 pm

I don't know about Scottish birds, but the birds in the States don't seem to mind bells, especially quail. I have a nephew though, that disagrees on pheasants. He wants to hunt them like deer and control what noise we make. As a result, he doesn't like me to bell my dogs. He won't let me take my whistle in the field either when we hunt together so I trained my dogs to respond to the vibration mode on the collar to keep them close without whistle or voice commands. He swears we shoot more birds because of it but I don't really see a difference.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I use a whistle and I don't think it bothers birds too much. A few gamekeepers have told me that the so called silent whistles do scare birds. They noticed this while calling- whistling - their birds in to the feed they put out for them. It does seem that certain noises, like those emitted by the silent whistles those keepers tried to use, can scare birds, even birds expecting to be fed.

Bill T.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Hunting Ruffs and woodcock here. No problem with bells scaring off the birds..
I have to use the bell or a beeper. I do not like the sound of a beeper but like the sound of a bell. A hand made bell with a soft tone is nice and carries well. But there is a distance (and it is getting closer) where I can no longer hear the bell so the beeper is put on the dog on point only mode paired with bell for when they are closer or I am closer to them.

Some times when listening to the bell you get close to where you think the dog is but can not find the dog. If you are close at times you can here just a little jingel to hone in on. or you just say the dogs name quietly sometimes it is just enough to make them move there head just a little and you can hone in on them then to.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:23 am

I will use bells on my dogs in deeper cover and have never noticed game being affected by them. Each dog has a different tone to keep track. In some of the cover I hunt it is easy to loose track of a dog, especially a reddish brown colored Vizsla which will disappear in cattails.

I actually think birds get spooked by sudden sounds, like a car door slamming shut or by yelling. Bells not so much. Hunters and dogs make plenty of noise, whether trying to be quiet or not. The small addition of bell noise I don't think causes any additional upset to the game.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have had some trouble sourcing gundog bells in Britain. A friend says he will get me one in France and another friend is sending me a small bell meant for goats. All the bells in this area seem to be made for budgie cages or for cat collars.

Bill T.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am

There are some on Ebay for $4-$5 USD plus shipping.