Flushing dogs on pen raised birds

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Flushing dogs on pen raised birds

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:00 am

Anybody have tips for training a dog to flush but not catch on pen raised birds? Some get up amd fly but we all know some will be easy to catch. Sometimes I slow as I am can catch them and throw them so.... :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Flushing dogs on pen raised birds

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:42 am

mountaindogs wrote:Anybody have tips for training a dog to flush but not catch on pen raised birds? Some get up amd fly but we all know some will be easy to catch. Sometimes I slow as I am can catch them and throw them so.... :roll:
Don't put the birds to sleep and try to have them out for a day or two before hunting or training with them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:18 am

I let mine catch them until we move to hup at flush then I use launchers, seems to give them a hard charge to flush when we move to wild birds. I train against soft flushes and hanging up, almost pointing.

Since I use a Johnny house and good, flight conditioned quail, they are training the birds as I train them.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:19 am

Pull flight feathers and let them catch them all! later on Teach hup to flush in the yard and then move it to the field. You get your dog doing that now and you could turn your dog into a blinker. Once the dog is really full of itself on training birds it can catch, I will really be aggressive on wild birds and really push them out hard.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:33 pm

I guess I am trying to figure out how you would keep the dog from just catching most of the birds. If my dogs had a little practice they could get pretty good at catching alot of the pen raised birds. Then the shooting would get pretty slim.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I guess I am trying to figure out how you would keep the dog from just catching most of the birds. If my dogs had a little practice they could get pretty good at catching alot of the pen raised birds. Then the shooting would get pretty slim.
Get better birds. :wink:

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 pm

The possibility of getting a dog to not catch pen raised birds when commanded to are slim. The birds are stupid. Leaving them out there a couple days would increase there survival instincts and make doing so better.
Why are you wanting the dog to flush them? If they are planted an hour before you go you should be able to kick them up. They really don't know any escape routes in that little of time.thickets is what I mean by an escape route.

welsh

Post by welsh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm

campgsp wrote:Why are you wanting the dog to flush them?
Because that's generally considered desirable when training a flushing dog?

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:50 am

try a carded Pigeon then you can just toss the bird out and not have to put it to sleep or plant it you just toss it out. after a while the pigeons are so spooky they fly soon as the dog gets close at least mine do.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:05 am

mountaindogs wrote:I guess I am trying to figure out how you would keep the dog from just catching most of the birds.
This isn't about training a dog to "not catch birds" ----------- It's about getting quality birds that have been raised
in a flight pen and are 'spooked' a few times a week by both humans and dogs.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker