Invisible Fence help needed.

tngolden

Invisible Fence help needed.

Post by tngolden » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:22 pm

I'm wanting to put an invisible fence in. live in the middle of 18 acres and could feasibly put a lot of fencing down. But, I'm not sure, for training..that's a good thing. maybe just the yard? That's probably about 3/4 acre. But, I'd like to take him down to the barn too...and that's outside the yard. Is that asking too much?
Any thoughts on brands or advice on installation, training and layout?
It's a Golden Retriever.
Thanks.

NoCoSportsman

Re: Invisible Fence help needed.

Post by NoCoSportsman » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:57 am

My experience with invisible fences has been less than stellar. I purchased a fence for a 1/4 acre yard and ran into the problem of battery life. It would work great for a few weeks and then the batteries would die allowing my dogs to roam the neighborhood freely. With the acreage you're talking about it -could- work however you'll run into potential issues of severed lines in addition to battery life. Another pitfall I found with the invisible fences is that if there is something enticing enough on the other side of the fence, a shock from the collar has a limited distance around the wire where correction will be applied.

My remedy to the situation was to utilize the handheld training collars which provided two benefits. It provided an enforcement method to heel and come commands as well as teaching the pups where the boundaries are at. I use a Sportdog Field Trainer 400 series and it has been a god send. My Irish was born to run and will freely roam wherever I allow her to all day long. With the collar I was able to limit her range and teach her that as long as she follows the rules, namely come when called, she gets a fairly long leash. No matter how far she is away from me or what she may be running after, I have the ability for correction up to the range of the collar.

If this is a feasible alternative for you, I would suggest investing in a good rechargeable training collar and using that instead of the invisible fence.

If your heart is set on the invisible fence I would suggest two things. The first is to invest in a more expensive receiver that houses rechargeable batteries. The upfront cost may be greater but will benefit you when you don't have to run out to the grocery store every few weeks to replenish your AA battery supplies. Also, be sure to take the extra time and bury the line instead of leaving it above ground or attached to a fence. That way it will lessen, if not eliminate, the worries of losing connection when your Golden finds something that he/she wants more than the deterrence the limited range collar will provide.

Hope that provides some guidance, good luck!

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:04 am

If you want the barn then you can include it. Wire is the cheapest part. Make sure you allow enough room the first time as its hard to retrain a dog to use an area once its off limits. It takes some training to get some dogs to cross the line when you want them to and some never will. I personally never let mine cross the line. If I want them to go out I put them on my ATV or truck. Your choice of equipment is also important. Feel free to pm me.

tngolden

Post by tngolden » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks man. So, what kind of equipment would you recommend? I was planning on going to Lowes or Home Depot and check em out. Petsmart too I guess. Are they all the same? What do I need to look for in the setup/equipment?
Another question: It has to be one big continuous loop to work, right? no breaks in the wire loop?
I may PM you, I don't mind, but it might help someone else who's looking on here. But, I may need to later. thanks.

seacowboy

Post by seacowboy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:07 pm

I just got one installed on Tuesday. The guy said to add additional acreage it was $65 per acre. They can make different zones if desired, I had the back and front yard separated in case he bolts out the front door. Just introduced stimulation today after 2 days of tone only. He's doing very well with it but will take some time and the real test will be the deer passing through randomly.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:14 pm

I would stay away from Pet Safe and go with a better brands. Pet Safe is the cheap chinese stuff and is not very reliable, I have boxes of the stuff from trade in's. Look at Innotek they make a better product with better features and adjustments. The wire has to make a continuous loop, but zones can be made if desired. I would also have pro look at your job and give you a quote if you haven't already. Then you can get an idea whether you want to tackle the job yourself or get some help.

k9contain

Post by k9contain » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 am

Each systems have different features such as rechargeable batteries or independent correction levels. As for the brand it doesn't matter Invisible Fence brand is made by Radio Systems Corp. The same company that makes Petsafe, Innotek, and Sport Dog. They are all made by the same company but invisible fence is a professional line with regulated services. As for the barn it was discussed earlier about taking dogs across the lines in a truck or atv. That is important because if your barn is unable to be connected to the main containment area you do not want to allow the dog across the boundary sometime and other time not because it can be confusing for your pet. Inground fences rely on the dog knowing his boundaries.

Tim
www.k9contain.com
Pet Fence Installer

royta

Post by royta » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:23 pm

donnie_19 wrote:If you want the barn then you can include it. Wire is the cheapest part. Make sure you allow enough room the first time as its hard to retrain a dog to use an area once its off limits. It takes some training to get some dogs to cross the line when you want them to and some never will. I personally never let mine cross the line. If I want them to go out I put them on my ATV or truck. Your choice of equipment is also important. Feel free to pm me.
k9contain wrote:As for the barn it was discussed earlier about taking dogs across the lines in a truck or atv. That is important because if your barn is unable to be connected to the main containment area you do not want to allow the dog across the boundary sometime and other time not because it can be confusing for your pet. Inground fences rely on the dog knowing his boundaries.

Tim
http://www.k9contain.com
Pet Fence Installer

I live in a small neighborhood and my wife was under the impression our soon to arrive Brittany was going to be an outside dog. We do not have a fence around our yard, nor do we want to build one. I'm thinking about an invisible fence but don't know what to do when my kids want to take the dog for a walk. I can see how it would be confusing for the dog to be able to cross and then not be able to cross. Maybe only cross when on leash? Wouldn't the dog become collar smart? I'm really not sure what to do and our puppy will be ready for pick up in three weeks.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:20 pm

Don't go buy a cheap piece of crap from China sold at lowes or home depot, buy a good quality product. First things do not ever take the dog for walks when the flags are up. The dog needs to be conditioned to stay in the yard first before ever going for walks through the fence. If you must walk the dog at first put in car and drive out to the street then walk and load dog back and drive back in. Once dog is bullet proof on the fence then introduce a sequence for going for walks most dogs take 60-90 days so don't rush it. I use a rug and practice the dog sitting in front of rug then walking across rug and sitting on other side. Then after a few days start moving rug towards line. This all takes time but it works and I use it every day for my business. If I have my preference it would be for the dog to never walk through the line and my own dogs only leave my fence in the truck or on my 4 wheeler. Feel free to PM with an questions.

Croix

Post by Croix » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:55 pm

I have a sport dog and it works perfect. I have a setter and it works great. Best money I've spent so far. Lot cheaper then a fence!!