Force Fetch DVD

Adamdirk

Force Fetch DVD

Post by Adamdirk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:52 am

The inlaws are asking for ideas on a christmas gift. i was thinking a training dvd would be a good idea. i want to force fetch my 10 month old gsp, so which is the best option?

Will

Re: Force Fetch DVD

Post by Will » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:54 am

I really liked the Smart Fetch program by Evan Graham.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:12 am

Will wrote:I really liked the Smart Fetch program by Evan Graham.
Same here. I have a few others and nothing wrong but this one explains it as a training and conditioning process.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 am

Smart Fetch for sure ---- But get both the book and DVD, much better than either one by itself (1+1=3)

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

Adamdirk

Post by Adamdirk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:53 pm

does anyone have the smartfetch program that they would want to sell?

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:07 am

Adamdirk wrote:does anyone have the smartfetch program that they would want to sell?
Yes I do! In fact, I have plenty of them on hand - books and DVD's, ready to go with free shipping! Thanks!

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr
The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
Official Evan Graham Retriever Training Forum

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 am

EvanG wrote:
Adamdirk wrote:does anyone have the smartfetch program that they would want to sell?
Yes I do! In fact, I have plenty of them on hand - books and DVD's, ready to go with free shipping! Thanks!

EvanG
I noticed a clicker sound during the 1st DVD of smartfetch. Is that also part of the program or just used on the dog used during the filming as a reward?

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:14 am

donnie_19 wrote:I noticed a clicker sound during the 1st DVD of smartfetch. Is that also part of the program or just used on the dog used during the filming as a reward?
The 'click' sound accompanied an image of a lightbulb in one corner of the frame, which is to indicate when pressure is applied, and when it is removed. Just one more help to the newer trainer to be sure how pressure is used. Of course, a moving graph is also shown to show relative amounts of pressure at any given moment.

Watch at 1:49 - the lightbulb image comes on in the upper right with the 'click' sound, and the graph appears showing pressure moving upscale slightly on the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mxo6wdHl2w&feature=plcp

EvanG
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
― Mother Teresa

There is little reason to expect a dog to be more precise than you are.-- Rex Carr

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:18 am

Got it. Been following the program for a week now. The 1 year brittany male will hold the paint roller. Going to try and do some short walking with roller in mouth today.

EvanG

Post by EvanG » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:43 pm

donnie_19 wrote:Got it. Been following the program for a week now. The 1 year brittany male will hold the paint roller. Going to try and do some short walking with roller in mouth today.
Great! Keep me up to date on your progress.

EvanG
― Mother Teresa

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:30 pm

Tried to move today and as soon as I stood up he spit the roller out. Reinforced the hold while standing a few times and then tried to move a couple of steps, he spit it out. I sat back down on my bucket and repeated hold and give for about 2-3 minutes then quit the session on a good note. Tried again this evening for a few minutes did the hold and give on the tailgate of my pickup. He did really good until I tried to move him and he spit it out. Repeated the hold and give a couple more minutes then quit for the day. He will stand for a minute or so with the roller so I think he is getting it. I can whoa him and put the roller in his mouth and walk around him. Should I have him start to reach for the roller with pressure before moving or just stay the course?

Kona dawg

Force Fetch DVD

Post by Kona dawg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:18 pm

I love the hold and force videos by Jim and Phyllis dobbs. It is old but very thorough. I have force broke several dogs with this method.