How do I get my GSP to come to me when I call her?

Pamela

How do I get my GSP to come to me when I call her?

Post by Pamela » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:16 am

This is so frustrating. She is 8 mos at this point and I still haven't come up with something that gets her to come to me consistantly! I can bribe her... Ie... Come get a drink of water, or I got a cookie.... But to just whistle and have her come to me is about a fifty fity chance she actually listens.

I have tried taking her out on a long line and then pulling her in when I call. Works great and she comes immediately even without pulling her when she's on the rope. So I know she "knows" the command. When she has freedom, she nust goes.

Desperate for ideas at this point. Plus, we live in Southeast GA. Is there any place around here where I could take her and work on some field training? She is phenomenal at flushing small ground birds. I would like to learn along with her and since I have never owned a bird dog or ever done anything like this. Total newbie with this breed.
Life is what you make it so make it fun!

Pamela

Omg... I think I made a breakthrough!

Post by Pamela » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:37 am

Had her out this am on her long lead, she was pouncing and playing in the grass but I wanted to go back to the boat.... "Olivia! Leave it!" she instantly came off the scent of whatever she was playing with and came towards me. I think I taught her to "come" all along but didn't know my own command. Will be working with the phrase now to see if it does indeed work. :lol:
Life is what you make it so make it fun!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: How do I get my GSP to come to me when I call her?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I use HERE, but whatever works for you is fine. I've been successful with Susan Garrett's method of recall.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

donnie_19

Re: How do I get my GSP to come to me when I call her?

Post by donnie_19 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:15 pm

What ever your command for come is use it and only it once, then reinforce. Continue using your word and check cord. If your pup is not reliable keep the check cord on. Old saying but true, never give a command you can't reinforce. With my young dogs I prefer my dogs come to 2 blasts on the whistle or 2 beeps from the e collar.